Question about carb maintenance

afpierce489

Hey all, I'm getting ready to do the Pine Sol soak on my carbs that I've been reading about and have a question. I've got everything removed, except for the air cut-out valves. I can get to two of them, but I'm having a difficult time getting to the other two. There in an o-ring in there, and I remember that (according to the thread about the Pine Sol) I'm supposed to remove all the rubber. Is it really that important to get to that o-ring, or should I just continue on. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Adam

I did a pinesol soak this winter, really not all that it's cracked up to be IMO. Don't be worried if you pull out the carb bodies from the pinesol and get a little flash rust, it happened to me and a few other folks. Try to rinse the carbs AS SOON as you take them out of the pinesol, should help with that issue.

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that the pinesol won't damage the plastic fuel tubes or o'rings which is why it has become so popular, otherwise most riders/mechanics would just use regular carb cleaner.

I did the whole carb bank with tubes in and didn't have any problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Soaking carbs is only needed in the very worst cases, not during a normal carb cleaning, which involves only the jets, emulsion tubes, mixture screw passages and inlet needle filters, etc. Soaking isn't good for throttle shaft lube, and by far the most common areas for clogging, corroding, or particle accumulation are the areas at or under the normal level of fuel within the bowl. Maintaining a clean, rust-free fuel tank and a filter can prevent needing carb work.

A few hits of carb spray and compressed air is all that's usually needed to clean the upper parts.

Well, the carbs were definitely cleaner when I was done. Put everything back together pretty easily, now I just need to put the carbs back on the bike and sync. Having that special screwdriver sure makes that process alot easier.

Archived