6th Gen Orange ground block

huntinggunns

• Member Contributer

I remember reading a couple of posts while digging around for some electrical information about the 5th gen orange ground block problems. If I remember right the 5th gen orange ground block is located on the left side of the bike taped under the wiring harness around the R/R area. It would become corroded and burn up. The fix was to remove all the ground wires, keeping them in their respective clusters, and soldering them together. Just wondering if while I had the plastic off my 6th gen if it would be a good idea to go ahead and do this for preventative maintenance. My thought was to also run a larger wire off both clusters and ground to another frame spot like the VFRness and "beefing up dem wires" so it would have another path to ground. Any thoughts?

• Member Contributer

It certainly can't hurt. The 6th-gen has two grounding blocks though; one is in the front wiring harness just near the headlights on the left-hand side. The other is between the frame and the motor on the left-side of the bike.

It should be in the same location on the 6th gen( about a foot down the main harness from the blue connector on the left side), but I personally wouldn't mess with it unless you had a problem. :ph34r:

BR

• Member Contributer

The one I am talking about is on the left side in the front harness under the big rubber cover. It is located inside the rubber cover with the big grey and blue connectors. I did not see one between the frame and the motor. Forgot to mention this is an 07. Looking at the schematic right now to see where the other one is.

• Member Contributer

Finally found the thread that I was referring to. I figure that this is going to be inevitable so why not take care of it now.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/66045-urethra-i-found-it/page__fromsearch__1

I looked at the harness again and I still don't see another orange ground block down by the motor. Maybe someone has a picture of where it is.

Finally found the thread that I was referring to. I figure that this is going to be inevitable so why not take care of it now.

http://www.vfrdiscus...__fromsearch__1

I looked at the harness again and I still don't see another orange ground block down by the motor. Maybe someone has a picture of where it is.

That is because it's berried in the harness and under a bunch of tape and plastic. It's Not an open plug like the ones your thinking of and can see under the left front inspection panal.

Again I wouldn't mess with it. There is an extemely low chance of a problem with it, unlike the Original Blue Connector issue where thousands of VFR's were effected i've only herd of 3 bikes with the orange ground block problem so far!

BR

• Member Contributer

http://www.vfrdiscus...__fromsearch__1

That is because it's berried in the harness and under a bunch of tape and plastic. It's Not an open plug like the ones your thinking of and can see under the left front inspection panal.

Again I wouldn't mess with it. There is an extemely low chance of a problem with it, unlike the Original Blue Connector issue where thousands of VFR's were effected i've only herd of 3 bikes with the orange ground block problem so far!

BR

Thanks BR. Makes sense. You are right about not many people having trouble with them as I have only seen 2 members post about having the problem.

• 4 years later...

Hi, I had the same problem. As soon as I switched on head lights the engine died. I found out that the issue was the yellow connector with green wires only. Ground block as you say, probably.
Its contacts were oxidated inside.. This connectror is located next (under) to the left low beam bulb. It was hidden under the black tape, sticked to the harness.

DSC_0240.JPG

Archived