Heated grips and voltmeter on the same fuse??

DFerrell

• Member Contributer

For Christmas my beautiful wife bought me some heated grips, symtechs with the round rocker. I also have a datel voltmeter that I would like to instal as well. I all ready installed the vfrness with the fused block panel. My question is it seems stupid to have the voltmeter on it's own fuse due to it drawing all most no power. Can I install the heated grips and the voltmeter on the same fuse, just run one hot wire to the grip switch and a second hot wire to the meter each with their own grounds? That way the voltmeter won't show a drop when I turn on the heated grips. TIA

Most everyone (me included) runs their grips off a relay. You don't want power to them when the ignition is off and having a dedicated line to them doesn't tax any other wiring

Running the voltmeter off the same circuit will result in the voltage being shown lower than actual while the grip heaters are on.

I plumbed my voltmeter right off the battery, but mine is an LCD type, and is not backlit, so it draws about as much as the factory clock does.

But I do get the most accurate voltage readings that way.

• Member Contributer

The fuse block has 3 switched fuses and one unswitched. It's plug and and play. I guess I could run the meter on it's own fuse, I have 3 free ones. I was just thinking that due to the grips and meter having their own feed from the fuse and beyond it wouldn't show a drop. I could see a drop happening if I ran one wire up to the front and then split it to the grips and the meter.

Well if the fuse block has a decent size pair of leads from the battery, then you should be alright.

I kinda whizzed past the fuse block part, and yeah, you're right, if you teed off one line somewhere for the grips you'd have issues, but with a fuse block and decent wire gauge, you should be golden!

I run mine off the same circuit out of my fuse block, shouldn't be a problem. You can always verify that the volt meter isn't seeing a voltage drop by comparing the voltage to that of the battery.

The fuse blocks I make/sell have 14 gauge wiring to each circuit.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Datel, I'll try to get some pics up, if you are careful you can cut a nice square hole and it will drop in without the bezel.

Archived