Nickel Plating

Guest JeffLaurence

I don't know of any shops, but nickel plating is very durable and corrosion resistant. Unlike chrome, it does not blue but turns a nice golden hue when heated.

I had mine done on my '86 Vfr and they looked great!

Took a chance , went to "The Plating House" (Dufferin and Steeles area) .Gentleman there told me that regular nickel plating (using electric current) would not hold up very long at all(??!!). Secondly, if I went for Electroless Nickel, the surface has to be absolutely clean and only the base metal.Apparently our systems are aluminized or something, and this has to come off. Lastly, if I went for the regular plating I would be looking at $1000.00!!!!!!!!!

Holy wow, that's a lot of cash.

What I had done was the dual Yoshimura pipes from the collectors near the footpegs to the mufflers. They were very used, but not pitted.

I drilled out the rivits that held the mufflers to the mild steel pipes, separated them, and had the pipes dipped and stripped at the chrome shop.

I think they use a caustic or acid bath, not sure which. Then, they proceed with the nickel plating.

This isn't/wasn't my bike, and this is a 4 into 1 Yosh, I had the dual pipes, 4 into 2, but you get the idea.....

I'll see if I can drag up an old scanned pic anywhere.

BTW, this was probably back in 1995 or so, but it surely wasn't a grand. What were they quoting you? Plating the ENTIRE MOTORCYCLE???

I'm thinking mine were like a hundred bucks, or maybe a little more, 125, 150? Can't recall now......

bike-for-sale-July-2011-006.jpg

Archived