Near Firey Nightmare....NEED HELP!!

Oh6PearlVFR

• Member Contributer

And the winner is........burned up stator phase. Ordered the new one from Tightwad and help is on the way!

Hope this works, I'm assuming the popping and smoke was related to a wire flopping around in the stator.

• Member Contributer

And the winner is........burned up stator phase. Ordered the new one from Tightwad and help is on the way!

Hope this works, I'm assuming the popping and smoke was related to a wire flopping around in the stator.

Seriously? I thought you said you tested your stator voltages before. So can you confirm what the source of the smoke was - the stator wires or from behind the stator cover?

• Member Contributer

I did but I can only assume the wire was on its way out bc I wasn't getting any readings that would have indicated otherwise.the guy at the shop was puzzled too since the connectors and all the wiring looked great.

• Member Contributer

I did but I can only assume the wire was on its way out bc I wasn't getting any readings that would have indicated otherwise.the guy at the shop was puzzled too since the connectors and all the wiring looked great.

Weird. Ah well, no harm in changing the stator. The kits from Honda are cheap - hope you didn't pay too much for it.

• Member Contributer

No I ordered the Rick's Stator from Tightwad and the shop should have it done as soon as I get it in. Now I'm just bummed I'm missing the run to Blood Mtn this weekend!

So far the only thing I read here is that 30 amp fuse has melted. And later the stator failed. Unless something else was missed.

If that 30 amp fuse holder has not been replaced yet I would not run the bike. It is only going to get worse and keep smoking or cause other failures. The Honda OEM fuse holder is crap, it over heats before the fuse melts. Replace it with one like this:

Attwood In-Line Fuse Holder/ATO-ATC (30 Amp, 12 Gauge)

That fuse holder is on the wire that feeds the battery from the R/R. If your battery is weak or damaged it will draw more current through this wire so have your battery charged and load tested to make sure it is working properly. Replace battery if not up to spec.

Replace stator if that is bad

Check for any other burnt wires, keep an eye on the plug between stator and R/R, that is another weak link.

• Member Contributer

That is where we are at right now. The mechanic went through all of the harnesses and wiring and everything else is good. So new stator is on the way and the fuse holder will be replaced.

Do you know if the one you referenced above is just the holder or the line too?

Thanks for the input

Archived