VF1000R engine stops instantly on Shutdown

BLIGHT

I noticed an odd trait when I shut off the VF1000R. There is no engine rotation or sound after I turn off the key. It's like I dumped the clutch in gear with the brakes on.

I know the V4 engines have a very light crank and almost no flywheel effect, but you would think I'd hear it continue to turn for maybe 1/4 revolution or some other noise after key off? For comparison, my Harley XR1200 (heavy crank, big pistons & long rods) rotates for maybe 1/8-1/4 sec after shutdown. My Triumph Thruxton too. The VF1000R is 'dead-stop' instantly when I shut off the key.

Is this normal, or is my engine really tight? It starts easily, & runs great otherwise, and my theory is that it's all about the very light crank. It revs (up & down) quicker on a throttle blip than any bike I've had in a long time.

Just curious if you other VFK owners have the same experience?

BLIGHT

• Member Contributer

Pretty sure my 2002 VFR stops immediately as soon as fuel is taken away. I remember when my dad first took a VFR for a ride, it was somewhere around 1995 I think and at the time he was riding a 1990 model FJ1200.

Anyway, he took his mate's 94 VFR for a spin and came back with a huge grin on his face. "It just revs so fast!" he said. And he's right - if you snap the throttle on a Honda V4 they spin up mighty fast. The same goes for when you shut them off - since there's little weight being spun up there's little weight to slow down.

My old '91 VFR shut off pretty much instantly too, but I haven't ridden it for a while (sold it to a friend a few states away)

Guess I never thought about it recently, 'cause I was so used to it. The other bikes I ride now (beside the VF) are slow-revvers with big heavy internals, so they wanna keep turning for a bit after you shut 'em down.

The Triumph twin is funny... it always makes a clackety-clack on shutdown, which is entirely normal. I've seen & heard it on some others too. Also takes twice as long to rev up & down as the VF on a throttle blip too!

BLIGHT

The Triumph twin is funny... it always makes a clackety-clack on shutdown, which is entirely normal.

Starter clutch engaging?

Yeah, I think it happens when the engine kicks backward off the compression stroke, and rattles some things. The Triumphs are great bikes but have their little quirks. Could be the gear-drive primary (no chain) to the clutch and the backlash in the straight cut gears. Or clutch plates rattling... or the counter-balancers, CCT, or... a combination of all that stuff just flying around in there and coming to a rest.

BLIGHT

• 10 months later...

when it keeps turning after you hit the kill switch or turn the key for a couple of bumps its called "run on" and is the sign of a carboned up engine. to make it simple the carbon buildup in your engine (on the piston top and combustion chamber in the head) whatever there is absorbs fuel vapours while your engine is running (makes for bad gas milage too) and when you shut off your engine the heat in the combustion chamber burns off the vapour retained in the carbon buildup giving it the "run on" effect. get some seafoam and put a tablespoon or 2 down your sparkplug holes (turkey baster helps here) and let it sit overnight. when you start your bike next, do it in a WELL VENTLATED area as it will put out enough white smoke that you wont be able to see your nose on your face. it is also a good idea to put 1/8 of a quart of it in your gas tank when you fuel up your bike as it will help get rid of carbon deposits and has a nice side effect of cleaning your carbs inside as you drive.

Archived