2000 VFR Starter Relay keying

Guest hougy

My starter relay fried, so I ordered a new one. I went to install the new one today and discovered that one battery connection would not screw in. Upon inspection, it was because the new one was keyed differently from the bad relay, therefore it wouldn't even screw in.

Attached you can see what I'm talking about. The 2 relay has the letters and terminal key on opposite sides (new relay on left, old one on right).

I'm known to miss the obvious. How can I make this relay work?

2000 VFR800FI

post-13131-0-06448900-1316287918_thumb.j

There is a "M" on the other side, this was bought from RMStators Inc eBay store. It was listed as being compatible for my year, but there is no way for me to hook this up correctly. It has everything on the "opposite" side from where it should be, as you can see in the picture. I am going to return this for a refund and go with a different seller that has the + battery keying and letters in the correct locations.

• Member Contributer

He can't really do that, unless he somehow un-crimps and un-solders the existing heavy-freakin-duty terminals. I've got to extend a battery cable on one of my bikes and I'm not looking forward to the surgery!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

You can get standard heavy duty battery terminals many places, but the OEM ones are not standard. I haven't looked into it very much, but it may be that OEM terminals aren't actually necessary?

Ciao,

Archived