More voltmeter stuff

Grilldemon

I've been reading a lot of the threads on voltmeter installation to monitor your bike's charging systems. I'm not sure if 1st gen is as bad as the later generations of vfrs, but being a cussy funt, I decieded to install a meter. I ordered a Lascar EMV 1200 from the local electronics supply house (Ko-Hen's electric in Red Deer, awesome service and selection). I am forecasting electric gear for my wife and I, so I want to see if the electrics are up to snuff.

I drilled a hole in the dash under the speedo to facilitate the mounting, bolted it in and used the sticky tape on the back to position it.

IMG_4558.jpg

Ran both wires to the battery, soldered and shrinked all connections. I was lazy and hooked it directly to the battery. However, she's getting a complete teardown this winter which will include paint and fixing the crack in the dash. I will then wire it properly with a relay.

IMG_4560.jpg

Being under the speedo, it is in my line of vision and almost looks like it belongs there. I also wired a manual fan switch in.Never had problems yet, but best to be prepared.

No reason to relay it, without a backlight that meter takes very little power and will run a long time without hurting your battery. Nice to see battery charge with the key off too!

Archived