Advice Needed: Tires

Guest DrBob

Guest DrBob

Just a couple of quick questions...

Right now, I have Dunlop Qualifiers front and back. The rear tire has seen better days, but the front still looks pretty good. I want to go to a harder compound to get better life out of the rear tire but I don't want to totally sacrifice grip to do it. So, here are my questions:

1) Would it be a problem to have a DQ on the front and an ST tire on the back?

2) What ST tire do you guys recommend for good life and good grip?

• Member Contributer

A lot of members of this forum are running a Pilot Road 2 rear with a Pilot Power front and getting very good results. Good grip and better tire life. The two will wear out about the same time.

If you still want to have super sport tire grip, the Dunlop Q2 is probably the longest lasting super sport tire.

• Member Contributer

A lot of members of this forum are running a Pilot Road 2 rear with a Pilot Power front and getting very good results. Good grip and better tire life. The two will wear out about the same time.

If you still want to have super sport tire grip, the Dunlop Q2 is probably the longest lasting super sport tire.

I would not recommed a Q2. Mine is shot after 3500 miles.

Any thoughts about the Dunlop Roadsmart tires? Also, mixing a Roadsmart rear and a Qualifier front shouldn't be a problem... should it?

• Member Contributer

If you're going to mix profile types, you should put the more aggressive tire on the front and the more touring tire on the rear. You want the front falling into turns and the rear following, not the other way around.

As far as recommendations go. I would highly recommend a Michelin Pilot Road 2. I have not found a better tire.

Any thoughts about the Dunlop Roadsmart tires? Also, mixing a Roadsmart rear and a Qualifier front shouldn't be a problem... should it?

I was in your similar situation a few weeks ago...keeping myself up at night researching the best tires, who had the best deal, should I order online or go through a dealer.

Then I just bit the bullet and bought Michelin Pilot Road 2's. Great tire. I suggest you do the same and thank me in a month or 2. Good luck.

• Member Contributer

I really like the Roadsmart rears. The fronts are fine but wore unevenly for me. The qualifier might be a really good match. And no I can't see any problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I've mixed and matched sport fronts and ST rears in the past, even from different manufacturers. But since running the Roadsmarts, I don't really get the point of mixing sport / ST tires on the street. I doubt the sport tires grip much better in the rain (usually worse) or on dirty surfaces, and usually don't warm up as quickly.

Most of the current generation ST tires are quite capable of handling the amount of power that a VFR puts out in an street and maybe even track conditions.

PR3 1800 mile road test on a ZX10: http://www.visordown.com/features/michelin-pilot-road-3-1800-mile-tyre-review/18694.html

I'm going to try some Conti RoadAttacks of some sort. My dad has gone through two sets of these on his Trumpy RS and now swears by them. I'm not a huge fan of the Dunlop RoadSmarts on my '96 - good tyres, just don't suit me I think.

• Member Contributer

Howdy!

3500 miles sounds good for tires.

Thats what I get out of PP2CT's, and after half a dozeb sets of them, I'm trying PR2CT's for a change.

They're profile feels like a baked set of tires when new. Also PR 's take a little while longer to heat up, and seem to be plenty sticky for a tire designed for milage.

I am pleased with them so far-

What I meant to say was that Pilot Powers 2CT's are the best tires I have tried on my '06.

Mac

• Member Contributer

FWIW I love my Michelin Pilot Roads 2CT's front and rear.

Disclaimer: I am not a tire expert and do not have a lot of experience comparing different tires on the VFR.

Good luck. May you find what you're looking for.

Nice looking bike you've got there!

• Member Contributer

I doubt the sport tires grip much better in the rain (usually worse) or on dirty surfaces, and usually don't warm up as quickly.

You're right that Pilot Road 2's (a particular sport-touring tire) grip almost as well as sport tires (to a point) but actually, sport tires warm up faster than sport touring tires. They do, however, like to have more heat to be grippy, so it's a trade-off.

Archived