Spring rate on 929 shock

skymon

• Member Contributer

If I pick up a second-hand shock on ebay or somewhere, how do I know what the spring rate of the existing spring is? Is it stamped on the spring somewhere? Also can someone refer me to info on the the proper spring rate for a given rider weight? I could swear I've read about it here but can't seem to find it now.

• Member Contributer

The stock spring on the standard 929 is white, and has different sized ends. Kind of a unique piece. When I did mine I had to make my own collars to mount the Eibach spring. I put an 1100# on mine. It's a little soft, but since I do more touring/commuting than track I like it that way. I can kick the preload up a few clicks, and still get reasonable sag for the track.

Sorry don't remember the stock spring rate for the 929, but I believe it's close to the VFR's i.e. too soft for my 210#.

BTW were you up on 33 yesterday? If so I saw you go by as I was mowing all that evil scotch broom along the guardrails....

Close, actually the stock 929 spring color is Yellow and if it's a Erion version then it has the White spring, as far as I can tell there is no rate difference between them.

The 929 & VFR (Vtec) both run a 15.3 kg rear spring. BTW No stock Honda spring has any rate stamped or written on them anywhere! :dry:

How much do you weigh?

Use google search and add ",vfrdiscussion" to the search title for best results! :blush:

BR

• Member Contributer

Thanks you guys.

mbrane: Hi there. Yeah, that was me. I remember you there. In fact I talked to your flagman for a few minutes about bugs, rubberized asphalt etc. Somehow he forgot to mention the equipment operator was a VFRD member. Seems like a banner year for the Scotch Broom. (I hear some say they like it. Might look nice but its an invader in my book.)

BR: I weigh 160 w/o gear. Good chance the stock spring is just right I'm guessing. I've seen both the white and yellow for sale on ebay. I was hoping there was a little more info on them to ID them before I buy. Might just leave it up to Daugherty Motorsports. His price quote was darn good.

Thanks you guys.

BR: I weigh 160 w/o gear. Good chance the stock spring is just right I'm guessing. I've seen both the white and yellow for sale on ebay. I was hoping there was a little more info on them to ID them before I buy. Might just leave it up to Daugherty Motorsports. His price quote was darn good.

At 160lbs you probably need something in the 17kg range, but if you can make the needed top spacer I might just slap it in there and see what kind of feel you have! :biggrin:

BR

• Member Contributer

Close, actually the stock 929 spring color is Yellow and if it's a Erion version then it has the White spring,

Ah mine must have come from the Erion version then though it didn't mention that in the auction.

Thanks you guys.

mbrane: Hi there. Yeah, that was me. I remember you there. In fact I talked to your flagman for a few minutes about bugs, rubberized asphalt etc. Somehow he forgot to mention the equipment operator was a VFRD member. Seems like a banner year for the Scotch Broom. (I hear some say they like it. Might look nice but its an invader in my book.)

Yeah we get some people concerned that we are mowing the "pretty yellow flowers", but I just tell 'em when those yellow flowers block your view through the curve they have to go away. Most people seem to understand when you put it that way.

Archived