how to take off rear headers?confussed.com

Guest stevekingchef

Guest stevekingchef

Hi guys

I'll start by saying sorry but I cant work out how to get to the rear headers to umbolt the exhaust stud.

Am I being insane?I've never owned a v4 and im a chef so have little idea but trying to learn.

All the best

Steve

Its a PITA

You need to take the RHS foot peg off and one of the bolts has a free spinning nut on on the back.

That nut is the problem :pissed: , I cant even remember what I used to grip it, I think I might have been forced to use pliers.

Once thats done, take the heat shield off, also a tight fit.

And use a ratchet, extension bars and a knuckel to undo the nuts holding the header to the head.

Im new to the world of motorbikes (and engines in general) so this was an eye opener as to how tight and fiddley working on them can be.

Good luck mate :fing02:

Im new to the world of motorbikes (and engines in general) so this was an eye opener as to how tight and fiddley working on them can be.

The VFR has a deserved reputation for being difficult to work on, space-wise, requiring "watchmaker" hands. Most bikes aren't this bad.

• Member Contributer

Its a PITA

You need to take the RHS foot peg off and one of the bolts has a free spinning nut on on the back.

I didn't have to take the foot peg off. The heat shield will unbolt and wiggle out. But I am pretty good at getting my hands into tight places.

• Member Contributer

getting them off is definitely a pain in the butt. what worked for me -

-move footpeg bracket out of the way

-1/4 drive socket+long extension bar+universal joint type adaptor+socket

got 3 of them from the right side and the 4th from the left. When you reinstall (maybe even more of a pain) put some anti-seize on the threads so they won't, you know, seize

jim

Hi guys

I'll start by saying sorry but I cant work out how to get to the rear headers to umbolt the exhaust stud.

Am I being insane?I've never owned a v4 and im a chef so have little idea but trying to learn.

All the best

Steve

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies.

Well I got the foot peg off ,rounded off the bolt on the heat shield.!!

Butt got myself nice extension bar and got bolts off.

Now I just needo ake off the headers.

many thanks

post-22821-132835_thumb.jpg

• Member Contributer

But I am pretty good at getting my hands into tight places.

That's what SHE said!

I realized I was asking for that as soon as I hit the "add reply" button...

But why would SHE say that? We must not be into the same kinda stuff...:biggrin:

ANYWAY, back on topic, Stevekingchef, what is that a picture of?

And what year is your bike? I've only done this on a 6th gen, and I have no idea how similar 5th gens are.

Hi

its a 6th Gen.

the pic is of the bolts mearly off on the rear of the headers,

just there to show a little sucess on my part.

im slowly getting there with my project.

Archived