Self made License plate bracket (Vertical)

Noobtastic14

I hated the stock massive fender so the very first thing I did was chop it off and move the license plate.

The two laws I had to keep in mind were- 1) License plate has to be lit with its own light(s) and 2) it has to be clearly visible from behind the bike. My first choice was something along these lines...

100_0202.jpg

The plate itself is to wide to fit between the tips of the stock cans so I recessed it in a little bit for clearance, unfortunately this was cutting it real close on rule #1 haha

After getting an "obstructed license plate" ticket on top of a speeding ticket (80mph on an Interstate! @&%!) I had to come up with something different that kept the plate visible but not hanging out behind the bike. I went out with a tape measure and took a few measurements and drafted this up...

LicensePlate3.png

IMG_20110527_153555.jpg

It did not form as easily as I would have liked, but for now I used .063" 2024 T3 Aluminum because I could cut it on the squaring shear. I'll hopefully be rebuilding this in Ti once I get spun up on the power shear!!

IMG_20110530_132829.jpg

IMG_20110530_132739-1.jpg

Nowhere does it say that the plate cannot be vertical ;)

Thanks for looking!

-Drew

Hampton Roads Va.

Edited by Noobtastic14

Here are some night shots of the lit bracket-

(The Tail light is covered with a bag for diffused lighting- it was burning out everything else in the picture)

IMG_20110601_205201.jpg

IMG_20110601_205230.jpg

-Drew

Hampton Roads Va.

Edited by Noobtastic14

Drew! Very cool you're from Hampton Roads, I live in Williamsburg. In order for my plate to fit between my Staintunes exhaust, I had to use a metal cutter in order to trim the edges of the plate, now it barely fits in there haha. I thought about turning the plate sideways, but my way worked just fine. I am loving the added brake lights.

Great new design. 8-)

Guest mikethaninefive

I know it kinda looks Choppers Inc. but I like it,lol and as an added bonus it keeps the chain lube off my polished wheels I just spray degreaser on the back, it sit a minute and hose it off. Presto! Good as new :)

Don't come to IN cause it's illegal here for the plate to be vertical. There are lots of states that have laws like this so be careful

I know it kinda looks Choppers Inc. but I like it,lol and as an added bonus it keeps the chain lube off my polished wheels I just spray degreaser on the back, it sit a minute and hose it off. Presto! Good as new :)

with my luck that would still be considered "obstructed" because if the cop is off center to the right he cannot see the plate. once I get an aftermarket exhaust I will mount it vertical again, even if I have to trim the plate a bit. Right now I'd have to cut off WAY to much, possibly cut off some number as well.

Don't come to IN cause it's illegal here for the plate to be vertical. There are lots of states that have laws like this so be careful

As long as I am registered in Virginia I don't think it will be a problem.

-Drew

Edited by Noobtastic14

with my luck that would still be considered "obstructed" because if the cop is off center to the right he cannot see the plate. once I get an aftermarket exhaust I will mount it vertical again, even if I have to trim the plate a bit. Right now I'd have to cut off WAY to much, possibly cut off some number as well.

As long as I am registered in Virginia I don't think it will be a problem.

-Drew

I wouldn't think it would make that much difference, even if you got a ticket I don't *think* it comes to points

This is the only thing I could find.... The last line is the kicker.

§ 46.2-716. How license plates fastened to vehicle; altering appearance of license plates.

A. Every license plate shall be securely fastened to the motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer to which it is assigned:

1. So as to prevent the plate from swinging,

2. In a position to be clearly visible, and

3. In a condition to be clearly legible.

B. No colored glass, colored plastic, bracket, holder, mounting, frame, or any other type of covering shall be placed, mounted, or installed on, around, or over any license plate if such glass, plastic, bracket, holder, mounting, frame, or other type of covering in any way alters or obscures (i) the alpha-numeric information, (ii) the color of the license plate, (iii) the name or abbreviated name of the state wherein the vehicle is registered, or (iv) any character or characters, decal, stamp, or other device indicating the month or year in which the vehicle's registration expires. No insignia, emblems, or trailer hitches or couplings shall be mounted in such a way as to hide or obscure any portion of the license plate or render any portion of the license plate illegible.

C. The Superintendent may make such regulations as he may deem advisable to enforce the proper mounting and securing of the license plate on the vehicle.

(Code 1950, § 46-102; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-107; 1960, c. 119; 1986, c. 186; 1989, c. 727; 2000, c. 258; 2001, c. 19; 2006, c. 549.)