Open Bos exhaust on fifth gen

Guest Oubaa

Guest Oubaa

Hello,

On my recently purchased 'like new' fifth gen, I have a BOS exhaust (without dB killers at the moment).

Could there be a problem with not having a Power Commander with specific mapping for this exhaust?

Does the dB killer affect the engine (and/or fuel consumption).

as far as I know, the previous owner just slapped the exhaust on it.

I don't really want to invest in a PC or other, but I'm curious if there could be negative effect on the engine.

Love the exhaust though!

• Member Contributer

Hello,

On my recently purchased 'like new' fifth gen, I have a BOS exhaust (without dB killers at the moment).

Could there be a problem with not having a Power Commander with specific mapping for this exhaust?

Does the dB killer affect the engine (and/or fuel consumption).

as far as I know, the previous owner just slapped the exhaust on it.

I don't really want to invest in a PC or other, but I'm curious if there could be negative effect on the engine.

Love the exhaust though!

I just "slapped on" my TBR carbon pipe, and the bike seems fine with it. Occasionally it will stall after downshifting hard through the gears when it's cold out, but it will restart fine.

The GF had a PC on her bike with the Scorpion pipe, but removed it due to serious fueling issues at higher altitudes. I actually thought she was leaking fuel following her it was so rich. It was dynoed, but I know nothing about the tuner that supposedly mapped it. Obviously it wasn't working right. Bike runs fine with the stock ECU.

Unless you want to fork out the dough to a good tuner with a proper dyno I would skip the PC, and even then you may not see a good return on your investment. A simple gearing change would probably register much higher on the SOTP dyno.

I've done both the pipe/gearing (-1 on the front), and notice no significant difference in my MPG. It pulls harder, and sounds better though. :lobby:

• Member Contributer

I just "slapped on" my TBR carbon pipe, and the bike seems fine with it. Occasionally it will stall after downshifting hard through the gears when it's cold out, but it will restart fine.

The GF had a PC on her bike with the Scorpion pipe, but removed it due to serious fueling issues at higher altitudes. I actually thought she was leaking fuel following her it was so rich. It was dynoed, but I know nothing about the tuner that supposedly mapped it. Obviously it wasn't working right. Bike runs fine with the stock ECU.

Unless you want to fork out the dough to a good tuner with a proper dyno I would skip the PC, and even then you may not see a good return on your investment. A simple gearing change would probably register much higher on the SOTP dyno.

I've done both the pipe/gearing (-1 on the front), and notice no significant difference in my MPG. It pulls harder, and sounds better though. :lobby:

Hi there - I'm the GF referenced above. blush.gif

In addition to what MBrane said above, I also had the air filter changed to a K&N. That change alone got me 4 more hp (from 96 to an even hunnert). I'm not into mapping Power Commanders - stock works fine for me. fing02.gif

Archived