Plastic repair product, anyone used this brand?

sruss67

• Member Contributer

Wondering if anyone has seen and used this product to repair VFR fairings?

If so, what did you think or anyone else with an opinion please chime in.

Cheers

37154425-9083-4875-a8ea-8ad5880b7919_1.jpg

• Member Contributer

I've used Plastex with good results. It's my understanding that it is basically fine ground abs powder and MEK, and that one could produce similar repairs using ground scrap abs and store bought MEK. Or even soaking abs pieces in MEK until the whole thing becomes a paste to use between broken parts. Been meaning to try that.

• Member Contributer

I have a friend that is a body man, and at their shop, they only use this stuff....They had a high end plastic welder, but all of the guys could make it work well. He said it did a sloppy job, and now that they have this stuff, the plastic welder is obsolete!

http://www.lord.com/Products-And-Solutions/Adhesives/Automotive-Repair-Adhesives/Product.xml/314

I have used it lots to repair cracked plastic, and even to make new plastic from parts that were broken, and pieces were missing!

Awesome stuff. It is expensive, the gun is expensive, and the tips that mix the product aren't cheap, but it's the best! :fing02:

If you go to the products section of their website, all their products have online instructions on how to use all of their products, how long til set up, how long til you can sand, etc. , etc.!

Good luck!

I've never used that stuff but I have used the 3M stuff quite a bit. The key to plastic repair is to prepare and clean the surface really well and check if your plastic requires adhesion promoter. Grind a little past 1/2 way through from the back side on the first repair. If it's bad use some repair tape, like drywall tape to reinforce it. Then do the front so you know it's new plastic all around. Good luck.

Archived