5th gen O2 sensors swap

Ranger77

• Member Contributer

After pulling my O2 sensors to check on them I felt as if they were too dirty. They are the stock ones and I did leave them in the exhaust pipes while running my PCIII for a year or so. PLEASE UNINSTALL YOUR O2 SENSORS IF YOU'RE RUNNING A POWER COMMANDER! THERE IS NO SINCE IN LETTING THEM GET COVERED IN CARBON AND UNBURNT FUEL. It'll just kill them.

So not wanting to pay for OEM I went with the next best thing, universal Bosch O2 sensors and from my research they are the new PLANAR type. They're suppose to warm up real fast and be more accurate.

Well. Lets get started.

I chose Bosch 15730 because they're 4 wire and well...they work on my vehicle. LOL Also the BMW guess use 15729. From all my research an O2 sensor is pretty much an O2 sensor unless you're talking about a wideband O2 sensor.

VFRO2sensorswap1Large.jpg

VFRO2sensorswap2Large.jpg

VFRO2sensorswap3Large.jpg

VFRO2sensorswap4Large.jpg

10mm bolts holding on the shield.

VFRO2sensorswap6Large.jpg

You'll need a 22mm wrench to get the first one off and a 22mm O2 sensor socket to get the second one off since you can't get a wrench on it.

VFRO2sensorswap7Large.jpg

Here's the first O2 sensor.

VFRO2sensorswap8Large.jpg

VFRO2sensorswap9Large.jpg

VFRO2sensorswap10Large.jpg

Now for the second one.

VFRO2sensorswap11Large.jpg

VFRO2sensorswap12Large.jpg

VFRO2sensorswap14Large.jpg

VFRO2sensorswap15Large.jpg

VFRO2sensorswap17Large.jpg

• Member Contributer

Time for some soldering. I don't think it matters if the white wires get mixed up as I believe they are just power wires. I just held up the rear of the O2 sensor and had the black wire on the right to match the white wires with the white wires on the plugs.

VFRO2sensorswap18Large.jpg

VFRO2sensorswap19Large.jpg

VFRO2sensorswap21Large.jpg

VFRO2sensorswap22Large.jpg

VFRO2sensorswap23Large.jpg

New parts look so nice.

VFRO2sensorswap24Large.jpg

VFRO2sensorswap27Large.jpg

VFRO2sensorswap28Large.jpg

Having seen many an old O2 sensor in my day I can say that's pretty much what they all look like when they come out unless they've gotten pretty hot. I don't think you did much if any damage to them by running the PCIII but new ones should work better none the less. :fing02:

just a thought but when running a power commander dont they recommed not to run the o2 senser and fitting a o2 eliminator as the sensor mukes up the powercommander settings.

just a thought but when running a power commander dont they recommed not to run the o2 senser and fitting a o2 eliminator as the sensor mukes up the powercommander settings.

You are correct, most people I belive (including myself thus far) opt to just leave the O2 sensors installed in the exhust but disconnected. This is what the OP was warning us against as it could cause more buildup of carbon and other nasty exhaust gases on the O2 sensors while they are not in use anyway. Removing the O2 sensors is not required, disconnecting them and using "eliminators" or "emulators" (it's just a resistor to fool the ECM really) is reccomended by PC because if you leave them connected they will override the PC module and the stock ECM will continue to adjust the fuel mix, thereby making having any PC completely useless once the bike is at operating temp.

Archived