Cracked panel.

Guest Paulvt1

I have the crack as well. First noticed it shortly after I bought the bike with 1060 miles. As I am out of warranty, I contacted Honda in Torrance, CA and asked if it would be covered. They told me that this was the first that they had heard about the issue, but that they would log it in the system. If enough people called about it, they might cover it in the future. I do feel like this is a defect either in the plastic, or the placement of the brake line coming down in that area. It is definitely pushing on the plastic and flexing it.

Today I took the panel off and cut a thin strip of sheet metal, which I epoxied to the back of the panel to reinforce it. I hope that helps it from cracking more.

post-13986-0-54265100-1325629345.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I intend to reinforce this - can anyone confirm for 100% that all the fairings/fender are made of ABS?

Yes; ABS. I had to fix another place from a tip-over. Reinforce your ABS patch with fiberglass cloth. Use ABS glue if possible.

I'm still wondering if the thin plastic seat-pan is letting the seat give under pressure, thus putting stress on this panel? All you guys are pretty much into or above the 180 pound mark (?)

• Member Contributer

Not aesthetic, I know, but you may want to drill a small hole in the end of the crack to stop it from spreading. :ph34r:

This crack didn't move in over 12,000 miles:

050.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Put a piece of Scotch Tape on the hole, and over the crack. Repair the crack from the back side. Take a Dremel if possible and "V" the crack. rough up both sides before repairing with a little bit of fibreglass cloth and ABS glue or Epoxy. The Scotch Tape (or painters tape) will keep the repair material from bleeding through to the front and keep the parts lined up.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up my new DCT from the dealer last week, washed it and noticed the crack. 0 miles. Hadn't seen this thread previously, but my dealer is swapping it out for the panel on a floor model at no cost.

The saga continues: went to the dealer today to swap out the panels and whaddya know!...the floor model's was cracked as well. That bike has been out of the crate for two days. The sales manager is doing a warranty claim on both, and I told him about the problems mentioned on vfrd and gave him the link. Hopefully he'll raise a stink up the Honda chain of command.

• 3 weeks later...

I called Honda direct...twice! I even gave him the link to THIS thread. He basically told me to go f*€k myself. He looked it up while I was on the phone, and said most of the people who posted that they received a warranty replacement were not in the United States. ....REALLY?

I called Honda direct...twice! I even gave him the link to THIS thread. He basically told me to go f*€k myself. He looked it up while I was on the phone, and said most of the people who posted that they received a warranty replacement were not in the United States. ....REALLY?

And I always thought that you had a better standard of customer care in the US (until my hire car broke down on the 1st day of my holiday in Florida in 1989) :)

That's bad.

Mine was replaced under warranty through East Bay Motorsports in Hayward, CA. Their floor model also had the same thing done, both with 0 miles. Take that Honda a****** "customer service" guy. Makes me wonder why I bought another Honda product. Shoulda learned from the 800.

• 2 weeks later...

430 miles, cleaning the bike yesterday and checked the panel, cracked. Not surprised. I've spoken to lancaster Honda and they will replace at 1st service.

Peter

• 2 months later...

Mine was cracked with 0 miles on the odometer. The dealership ignored my 3 requests to cover it so I ate the $70.50 for the part from powersportsplus.com. The original part number has been superseded which may be due to a defect in the original part.

71-77220-MGE-000ZA : SS BY -71-77220-MGE-020ZA - COWL, R. *NHA30M*

(Superseded by 71-77220-MGE-020ZA with QTY 1)

Replacing it only takes about 15 minutes and you just need to ensure you transfer the plastic tensioner from the old to the new part.

• 2 weeks later...

At 2050 miles.

Yesterday, I found my 2010 VFR1200FD has a crack at the same position as the photo posted on this thread.

BTW, I live in Virginia, United States.

• 1 month later...

I got my replaced under warranty on the west coast. Next time get the guys name and go to small claims court. That should work.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

• 2 months later...

Mine is cracked at 230 miles. Called my local dealer (Bettencourts, but they were not the dealer I bought the bike from) to request a warranty fix. They were aware that there had been issues with the right rear cowl. They took a look at it, took a couple of pics, and I also handed them printouts of this thread including the pictures. They called the Honda service rep, and Voila! Warranty replacement on the way! I'm really glad I found this forum, otherwise I would have had no idea that so many other people had the same issue. Thanks!

Yep, great thread. When I first bought a VFR1200 2010 model, new in 2011, I found the cracked panel when washing bike for first time. Honda Hamilton excellent, replaced It straight away. 1 year later, 11000 kms, no problem with replacement panel.

• 6 months later...

This is an interesting thread.

I checked my right rear cowl as soon as I read this and found no crack (thankfully).

I weigh about 190 lbs fully geared + 20 lbs tail bag on some occasion.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep ! Exactly as above Crack. At 5k. I will be contacting Honda to replace it. Thanks for your info, I was keeping an eye out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Mine was cracked when I first got her home and washed all the crud off after the 500 mile ride home but never thought that Honda would replace it. So yesterday I took it in to my local Dealer and he ordered me a new one on the spot :cheerleader: I also just got a new left side mirror too, as mine had broken the stop that keeps it from hitting the windscreen...

• 1 month later...

A new side panel for the second time now.... First one after 2.500 km and now at 9.300 km

Cracked in the same place as last time. I paid nothing for the new panel this time either (warranty claim) The Honda dealer told that the panel has been modified 2 times by Honda. Perhaps others have heard this too?

I hope this is the last time I need to replace the side panel...

Yes, if you look into any of the Honda OEM parts microfiche sites, there are 2 replacement part numbers for the same panel.

• 4 weeks later...

Got mine home and happen to read this thread, and mine was cracked. Then I wondered how to convince the dealer it didn't crack because I srewed up. I called and told them about the crack and they replied we'll order two because the other (new) '10 -1200VFR on our floor has a cracked fairing as well.

Archived