Neutral switch cut-off

otmaximus

On my newer to me 94, last week while the bike was idling in neutral, the neutral switch flickered and then went out. I figured it was just the bulb.

On my next ride, on occasion it wouldn't start, sort of like it was in gear, even though I knew it was in neutral.

Eventually it would start, after a series of key on/off, put it in gear/put it in neutral, cursing to various deities, kill switch on/off, praying to various deities, etc.

I went out to troubleshoot this morning, but of course the neutral light came on and it starts just fine.

So anyway does this seem like the case of a loose connection somewhere? Is it something that anyone else has experienced? Any particular area you could point me to?

Thanks!

Paul in SoCal

Wild ass guessing on my part, especially since I'm not familiar with the older wiring.

The fact that the neutral light flickered would make one suspicious of the clutch diode and\or the neutral switch.

Since there are 2 paths to ground on the starter circuit (my bike anyway), even if the neutral path is malfunctioning, the bike should still crank via the clutch switch and sidestand switch circuit i.e. the clutch lever pulled and the sidestand up. Or I'm high on crack.

Thanks for the 411.

anyone know how to check (or locate) the clutch diode or neutral switch on a 4G?

Wild ass guessing on my part, especially since I'm not familiar with the older wiring.

The fact that the neutral light flickered would make one suspicious of the clutch diode and\or the neutral switch.

Since there are 2 paths to ground on the starter circuit (my bike anyway), even if the neutral path is malfunctioning, the bike should still crank via the clutch switch and sidestand switch circuit i.e. the clutch lever pulled and the sidestand up. Or I'm high on crack.

Thanks for the 411.

anyone know how to check (or locate) the clutch diode or neutral switch on a 4G?

It's piggybacked on the main harness, on the front half of the harness. Surely with all those 4th gens around, you have a service manual? The diode is housed in a natural color connector which measures approx. .5"x.5"x1.25", taped onto the harness. Later gens have it wired into the fuse box(much more convenient!).

You might also check your switches(clutch & kickstand), and more importantly, the connectors at the switches. The wires can easily be damaged at the flag terminals if removed/installed improperly. That's my guess, usually when hard parts fail they don't fail intermittently.

Archived