How to Adjust the Headlight?

Guest coffeebrake

I don't see it in the shop manual that came with my '86 VFR700. How do I adjust the headlight?

Not sure on the older ones. However all 1990+ HONDA CARS HAVE STAR WHEEL ADJUSTERS.

On the 6th gen it's under the headlight assy. above the fender. On older bikes the mounts could be loosened and adjusted.

Look under the assy. and see if there is a silver star wheel. It is meant for a #2 phillips bit.

HTH's, I am ignorant on pre 1990 vf, vfr's.

I usually park the bike on the c-stand 20 feet from a wall on a flat surface,. You need to see where the lights are shining. Garage door is fine if your drive is flat.

Nothing oin the honda manual? They may not be adjustable.

SEB, where are you?

Don't see any star wheel in there...can't even see where the headlight mounts up...

Jenn, there are (IIRC) 2 adjusters for the headlight on your VFR, both are located on the backside of the headlight. I'm pretty sure you can reach one from the bottom, the other you may have to remove the windshield to get at it. It should be covered in the owner's manual.

Check to make sure your bulb is seated properly before you start turning knobs though - I just made an oopsie on my wife's car by putting an H7 bulb in an H4 spot. Was wondering why the lighting was horrible until a closer look revealed the bulb was pointing down! :blush: I little persuasion with tin snips fixed that problem.

Anyhow, I'm sure that in looking for the bulb you'll find the adjusters.

Don't see any star wheel in there...can't even see where the headlight mounts up...

Jenn, there are (IIRC) 2 adjusters for the headlight on your VFR, both are located on the backside of the headlight. I'm pretty sure you can reach one from the bottom, the other you may have to remove the windshield to get at it. It should be covered in the owner's manual.

Check to make sure your bulb is seated properly before you start turning knobs though - I just made an oopsie on my wife's car by putting an H7 bulb in an H4 spot. Was wondering why the lighting was horrible until a closer look revealed the bulb was pointing down! :blush: I little persuasion with tin snips fixed that problem.

Oh, remove the windshield? OK, I'll do that.

I don't have an owner's manual, just the Honda shop manual.

I just figured out how to read the date codes on the tires...the rear tire was manufactured in 1997. I think my very next dime is going for a new rear tire....no wonder it just don't feel right...

Otherwise it's doing great, I took it out far from home today for the first time, did a little interstate, opened it up on a back road...It ain't no rocket but I really like it very much....

Oh, remove the windshield? OK, I'll do that.

I don't have an owner's manual, just the Honda shop manual.

I just figured out how to read the date codes on the tires...the rear tire was manufactured in 1997. I think my very next dime is going for a new rear tire....no wonder it just don't feel right...

Otherwise it's doing great, I took it out far from home today for the first time, did a little interstate, opened it up on a back road...It ain't no rocket but I really like it very much....

Get a new tire, OMG, thats old!

It came to me. There are only 3 style of honda headlight adjusters. The kind where the head light bolts directly to the fork tube or clamp.

The next style has a big phillips head screw. It is silve and almost always encased in white plastic. A #2 phillips will work.

The third is a star wheel and is turned with a #2 phillips. I looked im my 6th gen and it is hard to see without standing on my head and looking directly up, the star adjusters are very hard to see. They are there somewhere.

I am not sure of your bike but I believe what I am telling you is the truth. It really should be in the factory manual. It should state where the adjusters are, how farto park from a wall and here to measure. I have seen it in many honda auto books.

HTH's, good luck. I can send you pictures of all 3 tomorrow if you like.

Oh yeah, why do they need adjusting?

OK thanks, I'll dig through the shop manual again.

When I got the bike in September, it had the stock tire manufactured in 1986 still on it...and I wore all my gear and ran the bike up through the gears on that tire, to make sure the tranny was good before I spent the $$$ on a new tire. It was a very scary ride, I could stick my fingers into the dry rot cracks on that tire. Next is the rear tire....it looks real good but it is quite not-sticky, y'know?

Thanks again for the heads up on the headlight...

Well no *%#@&* wonder!!! :mad:

Yep, there are two plastic wheels to adjust the headlight accessible when the windshield and left inner fairing are removed.

But the dang headlight's been broken at the back, the whole housing is cracked and there's a big blob of fiberglass on it, but it's come away from the headlight so it's just bouncing around...and the adjuster was hit too. Just a matter of time till water gets into the socket, it's a big gaping hole back there.

I knew the bike had been crashed but this is worse than I thought!

I can't adjust the headlight, and I can't see at night unless I follow another rider. Crap. Crapcrapcrapcrap.

• 1 year later...

Archived