Staintune installation 5th generation

Primo

• Member Contributer

I replace my gasket just because...

Do you need to? If it leaks you will be kicking yourself later.

I don't recall a gasket, but I do use a little high-temp rtv silicone. It not only helps reduce the possibility of a leak, but it lubes the connection to help the pipe slide on.

• 2 months later...

I don't have a pic of the install, but here's a somewhat older pic of my bike with the Staintune high mount (and yes, the spud is in) :)

med_gallery_1899_5770_42860.jpg

Just curious, what rear mount and box is that on your 2000 and has it worked out for you? I am looking for just a top box and I have the high Staintune on my 2000 as well. Not going to use it a bunch and was thinking JC Whitney box for the occassional trip.

Thanks,

Rob

Well, the box is a Givi V46 with the taillight and backrest options, but I honestly can't remember what the rack is. I'm positive it's a Givi rack, but I don't think they make it anymore. In fact, it was pretty hard for me to find it when I did. I'm actually still on the lookout for a rack that will do the following:

1. Mount the two side cases

2. Mount the trunk box

3. Work with a high mount exhaust

4. Work with drilled out "Franken-bolt" holes (this is the real kicker)... maybe I should have never drilled them. :P

If anybody ever finds a rack that can do that, PLEASE let me know! :D

Archived