Question for the more Mechanically Inclined

creggur

Question

• Member Contributer

I've tweaked my 6th gen to almost perfect comfort with BLS lowering blocks and Heli bars. I want the bars higher, and have even considered an LSL Superbike mod to raise the bars a bit more.

I have the Helis sitting 1/4 inch above the top triple as I read that someone had done this without problems. I've ridden about 1500 miles with this configuration and I was looking at the bike this morning and I can get another 1/2 inch of rise if I simply move the bars to the top of the forks. I'm not worried about the bars not resting on the triple - i've read of a lot of folks just moving their stock bars up without Genmars or other risers without issue. I do have a couple of questions about doing this:

1) When will I know I need to re-route the brake or clutch hydraulic hoses? How tight is too tight, basically?

2) Same for the throttle cables - how tight is too tight?

There seems to be plenty of play with the electrical harnesses to the switch assemblies on the bars so I don't think there's an issue with those.

What say you Modification-For-Comfort gurus?

7 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

I assume you have, but have you turned lock to lock to check the tightness?

Yeah, I have - there's still slack in all the lines where the bars sit right now. I think there's plenty on the brake to go up another half-inch, and I could re-route the clutch line behind the triple easy enough which would add some slack to that line if I go higher. The throttle cables are another story - those still appear to be fine with some more room, my ignorance on this is my biggest fear - Just trying not to screw something up on the bike :biggrin:

I searched and found word of someone on another forum that put Genmars under his Helis, but his page on the forum is gone and I can't find him anywhere else - so I don't know exactly what he did to make this work...

One thing to look for when re-routing is that even though it looks better while the forks are straight, the cables could hit on the out side of the natual bend when turned look to lock, and that could restrict the sliding inside the cable......... Another way to go is to move the grips/bars back toward the tank as close as you can, without hitting the tank with your hands still on the grips.........It changes the hand position on the grips.... instead of holding the grip like baseball batt, it'll be more like the lower hand on a golf club(right hand=for righties)...........I happen to like that hand position better myself, but that is subjective...........

I know, I know, :offtopic: , but it sounds like you are a prime candidate for the new CrossRunner, styling issues aside... :happy:

Brian

• Member Contributer

One thing to look for when re-routing is that even though it looks better while the forks are straight, the cables could hit on the out side of the natual bend when turned look to lock, and that could restrict the sliding inside the cable......... Another way to go is to move the grips/bars back toward the tank as close as you can, without hitting the tank with your hands still on the grips.........It changes the hand position on the grips.... instead of holding the grip like baseball batt, it'll be more like the lower hand on a golf club(right hand=for righties)...........I happen to like that hand position better myself, but that is subjective...........

Thanks, Monk - I've got a little room to move them toward me, I'll give that a try!

• Member Contributer

I know, I know, :offtopic: , but it sounds like you are a prime candidate for the new CrossRunner, styling issues aside... :happy:

Brian

Oh, I know - if it came to The States I'd likely be all over it. I've already restyled it for them to suit my personal tastes..

Throw on a shorty Leo Vince Carbon that ended at the rear peg and I'd be good-to-go...

gallery_18977_5075_109846.jpg

Archived