VFR 1200F triple clamps

93 VFR750 RC36

Question

Does anyone know what the dimensions of the new VFR 1200F triple clamps are? Here are my thoughts:

1. The rake is listed at 25.5o, not far off the 26o of our older bikes.

2. The trail is listed at 101mm. Not a million miles away from 100mm for our older bikes.

3. It has upside down 43mm forks (50mm at the top?).

A quick play with the trail and rake calculator at http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/rakeandtrail.html has me thinking that the offset is in the 39mm ish range.

Unless I'm really wide of the mark, Honda may have solved our fork upgrade triple clamp problem for us.

CBR 1000RR or R1 front end + VFR 1200F triple clamps =

Upside down forks, monster radial brakes and stock rake/trail (ie handling).

Just a thought.

Stew

2 answers to this question

Steering stem length & bearing size are unconfirmed, though one might assume that Honda hasn't changed those things. If those are the same, then yeah, those would be closer to existing VFR offset, but, rake and trail numbers won't transfer. (to do it right), You're going to change the fork length, install height, spring rate, and you're going to install on a bike that weighs less. Not talking anything down here, I'm all for experimenting, just don't lose focus thinking that it will be super easy by buying these parts. There are still many dimensions and calculations that need to be checked and done to get your conversion set up properly for you.

Steering stem length & bearing size are unconfirmed, though one might assume that Honda hasn't changed those things. If those are the same, then yeah, those would be closer to existing VFR offset, but, rake and trail numbers won't transfer. (to do it right), You're going to change the fork length, install height, spring rate, and you're going to install on a bike that weighs less. Not talking anything down here, I'm all for experimenting, just don't lose focus thinking that it will be super easy by buying these parts. There are still many dimensions and calculations that need to be checked and done to get your conversion set up properly for you.

Rake should transfer if you set the fork height and sag to stock figures for the bike you install on. With the same front wheel, the trail will only alter with the offset.

Less offset will give more trail and more offset less.

The common CBR triples reduce offset by 10mm giving just over 10mm greater trail (100mm becomes 110mm for example).

However, a set of 40mm is offset triples will give close to stock offset. Therefore you can grab virtually any of the 50mm fork options (929, 944, 1000rr, R1 etc) and achieve close to stock geometry. Obviously the shorter forks leave little clear of the triple top to attach clip-ons, but that's a different issue.

As for the ease of buying parts, I'll keep looking around. There's bound to be someone who has their 1200 damaged in some way and I've already seen a 1200 engine going on Ebay.

It's all about the scheme, difficulty just makes it more interesting.

Stew

Archived