Quick tire question.........

VFR-SPORT

• Member Contributer

I am in need of new tires. A local shop here has a pretty good deal on Michelin 2CT's but only has a 190/50R17 rear right now. First, will it fit without hitting SSSA and how will it affect handling??? I know it wll fit on the 5.5" rim.

Whoops, it ended up in the wrong forumn!!!!

First off If your talking about Pilot Power 2ct's I would NOT waste my money especially on the rear! Front maybe if your a twisty Ripper, otherwise standard PP's are more than adequate for even track use! :laughing6-hehe:

I would Not recommend running a 190 on a VFR or 5.5 rim, people do it but there's nothing positive about using one.

BR

• Member Contributer

First off If your talking about Pilot Power 2ct's I would NOT waste my money especially on the rear! Front maybe if your a twisty Ripper, otherwise standard PP's are more than adequate for even track use! :laughing6-hehe:

I would Not recommend running a 190 on a VFR or 5.5 rim, people do it but there's nothing positive about using one.

BR

Now that makes me want even more to replace my tires. My bike came with a 190/50-17 on the rear, metzler Z6. I can't say anything about the handling effect, since I've never ridden it with a 180, but I can say that it fits fine. Now that I have the full Jamie daugherty rebuilt f4i forks and shock on the bike it's time to do the tires. They are 3 years old based on the manufacturing date...

• Member Contributer

It seems to me that pinching the walls of a 190 tight enough to fit a 5.5" rim would reduce the size of the contact patch and thereby reduce traction. But I'm don't know, I'm just the mailman... :beer:

• Member Contributer

Honda built the bike to run a 180, so I tend to beleive they might be smarter then me, so I'd stick to a 180 because thats the right size for the bike. But I know a lot of goldwing riders that run a car tire on the rear and say the bike handels better than with a M/C tire.

Archived