cant start, wont start

Guest fredijb

Guest fredijb

My bike has been off the road for a few years, kept garaged and all other preps done to preserve bike. Had dropped it before storage. mainly only cosmetic to be useable again. It needs a new battery I know but just before I get one(money is tight at mo) I prepped bike for reuse, done oil new fuel etc etc. connected to car for power as a temporary measure.

Put key in, dash lights up fine, hit starter button and get absolutely nothing, not even a click from the solenoid. I put temp short in between for starter motor and that turns ok. I have checked all wiring and all ok, all fuses including main fuse are ok.

Does any one have any answers as to why I have no response?

Ta

Ian

• Member Contributer

My bike has been off the road for a few years, kept garaged and all other preps done to preserve bike. Had dropped it before storage. mainly only cosmetic to be useable again. It needs a new battery I know but just before I get one(money is tight at mo) I prepped bike for reuse, done oil new fuel etc etc. connected to car for power as a temporary measure.

Put key in, dash lights up fine, hit starter button and get absolutely nothing, not even a click from the solenoid. I put temp short in between for starter motor and that turns ok. I have checked all wiring and all ok, all fuses including main fuse are ok.

Does any one have any answers as to why I have no response?

Ta

Ian

bank angle sensor?

and the question: is your start switch on?

bank angle sensor?

and the question: is your start switch on?

got no bank angle sensor as far as I can tell from electrical diagrams. and yes switch is on.

ian

• Member Contributer

what year is it??

did you check the fuses??

the kickstand switch? the kill switch?

are the battery bolts TIGHT?? if its loose. it will power the bike but not the starter.

what year is it??

did you check the fuses??

the kickstand switch? the kill switch?

are the battery bolts TIGHT?? if its loose. it will power the bike but not the starter.

Hi the year is 1997, i checked all the fuses and switches, all are ok. I got no battery at mo but hooked up to my car, lights on dash, but nothing else. if i short across the starter relay unit i can fire the starter motor so that is ok.

Main problem is that i get no reaction from anything when i hit the starter button.

• Member Contributer

then your starter relay is shot.

put in a battery.. if you can start it and have it run by bypassing the starter relay.. you have found the problem. :warranty:

then your starter relay is shot.

put in a battery.. if you can start it and have it run by bypassing the starter relay.. you have found the problem. :warranty:

hi, i thought that was the problem but wasnt sure. how can i bypass the relay? i can deal with the starter motor ok but how do i deal with the supply of power to the rest of the system to get fuel pump, sparks etc to fire??

• Member Contributer

I always wonder when reading these "It won't start" threads, how come push staring is rarely mentioned??

I have always been able to push start my bikes when the battery was too weak to crank the engine. Now, if it won't push start - then maybe that tells you something else is wrong too but almost seems like a cheap diagnostic tool.

In this case, with no battery installed, this might not work - but, it might with the old battery put back in if it has a little juice. Also, in this case, I recognize that this bike has been sitting for awhile and may need some amount of cranking to get things flowing.

Just wondering.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.....

• Member Contributer

hook every thing up normal..

on top of the relay are 2 studs.. one bolts to the cable to the battery .. the other bolts to the cable going to the starter motor

take a cheapo screw driver and connect the 2 studs..

dont freak out when you see some sparks.. hold the driver there.. no wimpy crap.."i am gonna get shocked!!!" .. ...no you wont..

i swear to god i have seen 6 foot 7, 350 lb bouncers jump like terrified cats..

in any case.. when you jump the post.. the starter moter will turn and the bike should start... make sure its not in gear or its going to ghost ride away..

on top of the relay are 2 studs.. one bolts to the cable to the battery .. the other bolts to the cable going to the starter motor

dont freak out when you see some sparks.. hold the driver there.. no wimpy crap.."i am gonna get shocked!!!" .. ...no you wont..

in any case.. when you jump the post.. the starter moter will turn and the bike should start... make sure its not in gear or its going to ghost ride away..

hi, i have already tried this but am getting no sparks, and fuel goes into pump but not onto carbs. sounds like it wants to start but with no fuel or sparks -- no go.

• Member Contributer

then your battery is so freaking dead it needs to be replaced...

oh.. sparks only happen at the first and last touch.. unless its a wimpy contact.. then it sparks like crazy.. NO WIMPY CONTACT>> BE FIRM!!

hi, i have already tried this but am getting no sparks, and fuel goes into pump but not onto carbs. sounds like it wants to start but with no fuel or sparks -- no go.

Well if there's no fuel in the carbs, wouldn't that be the place to start looking? (I'm not trying to be a smartass)

Maybe the floats are stuck.

When you say "no sparks" do you mean the spark plugs are not firing?

Your posts need more details.

Edit: also, you mentioned it was dropped before storage. Did it run ok after that (prior to storage) or has it never run since then?

• Member Contributer

the "hot" side of the relay should have voltage whenever there is a battery connected. if you are not getting power there, then it is opened between the teminal and the battery(or voltage source).

when you are connecting your car battery to the bike, where are the connection points?

the "hot" side of the relay should have voltage whenever there is a battery connected. if you are not getting power there, then it is opened between the teminal and the battery(or voltage source).

when you are connecting your car battery to the bike, where are the connection points?

hi I am connecting to the car battery as if it was to a bike battery, so the two leads which connect to bike battery are now connected to car. What should the voltage be on the 'hot' side of relay?

• Member Contributer

hi I am connecting to the car battery as if it was to a bike battery, so the two leads which connect to bike battery are now connected to car. What should the voltage be on the 'hot' side of relay?

positive is the hot side..

i am sorry to say , but i am about to bang my head against the wall and call you all kinds of names.. but i realize not every one has done this kind of stuff and needs to start somewhere...... you need to read up eletrical "how to"

please down load the manual.. read it.. get an idea of the eletrical works.. have fun! fing02.gif

• Member Contributer

"What should the voltage be on the 'hot' side of relay? "

If it is coming from the battery, it should be the same voltage you see at the battery - 12+.

Also, I am skeptical (without seeing it) about the connection to the car (or car battery). Is the car battery out of the car and directly attached to the bike's cables, or are you using jumper cables to connect the bike's cables to the battery in the car.....? Sometimes I have had trouble trying to use an 'outside' source like that - but, you should still be seeing voltage.

Did the bike run after it went down - before it went into storage? Or did it go right from the dump to storage?

Maybe someone close to you could help you out.

Anyone.....

Someone......

No???

• Member Contributer

oh man.. your in the UK!!

make sure the neg- side is the ground.. this is not a truimph with the LUCAS wiring.. aka "the prince of darkness"..

make sure the green ground wire in the harness is bolted to the ame some place.. if you cant see one.. make one!!.. ( that means find a bolt and take the green ground wire and wrap it around the bolt.. tighten bolt.. ) an eylet would be best.. but read the manual before starting that stuff. biggrin.gif

• Member Contributer

sorry about getting frustrated here...

however..

you REALLY need to read the manual.. because some of the questions you have are very very basic things that you should know before even thinking about riding.

and yes.. i should be more friendly.. just having a crappy week dry.gif

sorry about getting frustrated here...

however..

you REALLY need to read the manual.. because some of the questions you have are very very basic things that you should know before even thinking about riding.

and yes.. i should be more friendly.. just having a crappy week :fing02:

Hi, i read the manual, and have checked a few connections, and have found a corroded one, cleaned and repaired. Tried to fire the bike up and finally she started. WAHAY!!!! All this hassle for one crappy connection. Many thanks for all the help. It was good to get her going again. Sorry about any miss-understanding, I guess this come from different ways of describing things, what you call 'hot side' I would call 'live side'. Once again many thanks for your help.

Kind regards

Ian

• Member Contributer

hi there,glad you have your machine running,if you need parts ebay vfr750 section has parts for sale ,starter relay etc.hope this helps. :fing02:

Archived