Voltmeter Install and Electrical question

DenT

So i was looking into getting this meter (this is just better pictures. the version iw as looking at is 0-20VDC and i believe they said it is available in a 5V or 12V powered configuration.

It matches the dash color on my 6G and also is a similar display. I would have preferred it to be a bit smaller but i can deal with that. I'm going to waterproof/mount/etc myself.

My main question is do you think i can have a powered meter that runs off of the same source it is measuring? Would i have to regulate it? If so would it be best that i get a 5V one and regulate down rather than a 12V considering that i would hope it would still measure accurately below that?

I've got to run but will throw in more detail/less garbled thoughts if need be.

• Member Contributer

I think you should pass on that meter and get one that is "self-powered". Meaning that the voltage you are measuring (in your case the ~12VDC from your motorcycle) also powers the meter instead of needing a separate 5V like that one. Just connect the meter to a switch circuit like the plate light (unless you have a switched terminal block) so the meter is only on when your motorcycle is switched on. Datel is a popular brand meter and I believe tightwad also has meters on his website. I am a big fan of having a meter to look at to monitor things.

agree with above....dont use a meter that needs seperate inputs. do a quick search. there are a multitude of meter options already tried by this board.

mine is a simple LED that glows red, orange, green depending on the voltage powering it. tightwad has on option too.

I'm really not afraid of an extra wire or two. It cant possibly draw that much power + i'm going to wire it to be switched on the relayed power block i made. For 10 bucks i'm going to give it a shot. Seller is actually extremely responsive and is investigating other variations for me.

To be honest i haven't found another meter that i would be willing to put on my bike. I dont want any of the pure LED ones because i want a more tangible reading (digital) and really don't think they are worth their price. And the LED numbers just dont jive with the dashboard at all IMO. Red looks like an 80s toy, blue looks like a it belongs on a honda civic that someone glued and "R" or "Si" badge to even though it isnt, and green looks like one of those printing calculators.

• Member Contributer

mine is a simple LED that glows red, orange, green depending on the voltage powering it. tightwad has on option too.

What is the model of your LED voltmeter & where did you get it? Do you have a picture?

Thanks

filterfool

What is the model of your LED voltmeter & where did you get it? Do you have a picture?

Thanks

filterfool

here is the entire thread with options. mine came from signal dynamics (same one HS used). i looked at the link/web site and couldnt find it. maybe you can give them a call. if not, there are several other options on the thread.

Archived