Custom built 6th gen exhaust

Guest CBR600F4i

Guest CBR600F4i

I decided to make my own custom exhaust for the VTEC. It's actually the second one I've done, the first was too loud so I sold it and put the stock system back on. This was my first time TIG welding stainless steel. The welds look OK but nothing to brag about so I won't show any close-ups. I'll just be happy if they don't crack. I started with a pile of 304L mandrel bends, mostly left over from other projects, and a set of used Ducati 748 mufflers that I picked up for $30.

I started at the cat and copied the stock pipe routing.

100_1104.jpg

100_1107.jpg

100_1106.jpg

100_1115.jpg

The 748 mufflers are 16" long aluminum ovals with stainless end caps. I think they look cleaner without the band type hangers so I welded mounting tabs to the aluminum sleeves. They're three chamber mufflers just like the Hondas. I totally gutted them and welded in new 2" perforated stainless cores, then repacked them with stainless wool and fiberglass. I considered making them shorter but I decided not to. I powder coated the cans satin black to match the rest of the bike.

100_1082.jpg

100_1083.jpg

100_1116.jpg

100_1110.jpg

100_1111.jpg

100_1114.jpg

I ride with a guy that has Staintunes, I think this sounds really close but louder. We'll have to compare next time we get together. I'm extremely happy with it, but I'll probably make some inserts to quiet it down a bit for long trips. I screwed up and forgot to weigh it before tightening everything up, but it's considerably lighter than stock.

Man, the talent around here. :fing02:

The only thing I could see being different, is if the mufflers didn't protrude so much and were more lined up with the taillight bottom.

Since you didn't want to shorten the cans and they're already loud enough, I guess the only thing you could do it is to shorten up the pipes.....

But there's not a whole lot of straight pipe to chop off from the last curve to the end is there? :biggrin:

Great fab job anyways! :blink:

Greg :idea3:

The only thing I could see being different, is if the mufflers didn't protrude so much and were more lined up with the taillight bottom.

Since you didn't want to shorten the cans and they're already loud enough, I guess the only thing you could do it is to shorten up the pipes.....

But there's not a whole lot of straight pipe to chop off from the last curve to the end is there? :beer:

Great fab job anyways! :beer:

Greg :fing02:

Thanks. They can't be moved forward without trimming the body, and I don't want to do that. They're just too long, I should have shortened them about 2". They don't look quite as silly with the fender and side cases on. I don't like the way the Staintunes are angled to match the tail light, but that's just a matter of personal preference. I like them straight. I do care what the bike looks like, but I don't get overly wrapped up in making everything perfect.... you can see how dirty the bike is. I'd rather be riding than cleaning, I just wanted a little more sound.

• Member Contributer

But there's not a whole lot of straight pipe to chop off from the last curve to the end is there? :beer:

Great fab job anyways! :beer:

Greg :fing02:

Thanks. They can't be moved forward without trimming the body, and I don't want to do that. They're just too long, I should have shortened them about 2". They don't look quite as silly with the fender and side cases on. I don't like the way the Staintunes are angled to match the tail light, but that's just a matter of personal preference. I like them straight. I do care what the bike looks like, but I don't get overly wrapped up in making everything perfect.... you can see how dirty the bike is. I'd rather be riding than cleaning, I just wanted a little more sound.

NICE, I think its SWEEEEEET.

Archived