Clunking in Front end

• Member Contributer

My clunking is gone.

Having owned the bike from new I recently marked 60,000kms and not having followed Honda's recommended service intervals anyway, I decided to have a bikeshop look at the bearings in the headstock.

They've never been looked at and sure enough, the OEM ball bearings were rusty, not much grease left and a distinct dead spot was found.

New, tapered roller ones were fitted (Honda OEMS are still ball type) and the clunking is gone and the steering feels smoother on the short ride home.

:biggrin:

Whilst in the shop, I had them look at something that had not been touched in almost 13 years either, the carb setup/synchronisation. I just wanted to know.

Well, they were still very close to what the mechanic would still consider "ok" he adjusted only slightly. So there you go, Honda quality at work!

I'm wondering if there's a copy of the actual service manual somewhere on the site, not the 16mb Adobe file I keep finding everywhere. The service manual is the one that goes into more detail yes? Anyone know if we have a copy of this?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-FACTORY-SERVICE-MANUAL-VFR750F-VFR750-1997-OEM-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5633cdec03QQitemZ370236320771QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature

I have a 4th Gen manual, sharing through Dropbox, get a free account with this spam-free link;

http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTM2NTczMzM5

And I'll send you the public link for the manual.

*Using this link gives me more referral credits which means more space for me to share manuals!, Karma! :biggrin:

PS: My 4th gen developed a clunk in the front end at 30k miles also. It was the wheel bearings, but I had serviced the headstock when I got it at 12k miles, so maybe I lengthened the bearings' life there.

• 1 year later...

I have started to have the (probably) same issue. Under a bit harder braking, I feel a *clunk* through the handlebars. I can also hear it, a small clunking sound. This only manifests under braking, a split second after starting to brake. Will check using the sebspeedĀ“s method. However, my brake pads need replacing (they have started to squeal) so will check the brake pad pins also.

Archived