8 spoke rattle can job

Guest AmbitiousbutRubbish

Guest AmbitiousbutRubbish

Managed to score an 8 spoke about 3 weeks ago off ebay (Buy it now for 250$, score!!!). It took about 4 hours of sanding, then priming, and resanding smooth (about 6 hours total) and I sprayed it with Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy paint. I left it sit in the sun during the day and in front of a space heater at night for about a week to get it to harden up before mounting and it held up well to the tire machine today so I am very pleased. Debating abit of 1500 grit and waxing to get a bit of the dust out of the paint but I'll wait and see how it holds up for now.

0326101652b.jpg

0326101651.jpg

Looks good, wish I could have scored a "good price" on an 8 spoke.

I just read your thread. I feel for ya. I have been looking for the last few months and the price seems to be getting out of hand. About a month ago I watched 2 of them posted at the same time go into the high 400$ range. I think one of them went for over 500 in fact. I was super bummed and the morning after the last one closed I looked and there, posted for all of 8 minutes was one starting at 200$ and with a "Buy it now" of 250.

• Member Contributer

Looks good, wish I could have scored a "good price" on an 8 spoke.

I just read your thread. I feel for ya. I have been looking for the last few months and the price seems to be getting out of hand. About a month ago I watched 2 of them posted at the same time go into the high 400$ range. I think one of them went for over 500 in fact. I was super bummed and the morning after the last one closed I looked and there, posted for all of 8 minutes was one starting at 200$ and with a "Buy it now" of 250.

Rub a little more salt in the wound why don't you! :goofy:

Seriously though, I was watching one on ebay and it went for some stupid money. I found one over seas but the guy never got back to me on shipping costs.

Oh well, I'm more than happy with the White wheels "For Now"

• Member Contributer

Looks really good, especially considering every piece of dust in the air probably would've found it's way to set into your paint.

Managed to score an 8 spoke about 3 weeks ago off ebay (Buy it now for 250$, score!!!). It took about 4 hours of sanding, then priming, and resanding smooth (about 6 hours total) and I sprayed it with Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy paint. I left it sit in the sun during the day and in front of a space heater at night for about a week to get it to harden up before mounting and it held up well to the tire machine today so I am very pleased. Debating abit of 1500 grit and waxing to get a bit of the dust out of the paint but I'll wait and see how it holds up for now.

0326101652b.jpg

0326101651.jpg

Nice! That and the high pipe compliment each other well.. :fing02:

I hung it in my garage overnight and went out early in the morning to spray it so there is a few dust bits in it here and there but I have been experimenting abit with the 1500 grit and polishing it back out. The face of the wheel turned out real nice so I may just leave it for now but the next time she's due for a rear tire I may get ambitious and really work at it.

As for the handling with the 180/55. I went out this last Saturday and did an Ortega Hwy, to Dana Point, to Long Beach and back to home loop and I like the way the bike feels now. The rear of the bike feels more planted when really getting on it out of a turn. Everywhere else the bike feels very much the same. It doesn't feel sluggish to turn in at all and it feels abit better under braking.

• Member Contributer

I hung it in my garage overnight and went out early in the morning to spray it so there is a few dust bits in it here and there but I have been experimenting abit with the 1500 grit and polishing it back out. The face of the wheel turned out real nice so I may just leave it for now but the next time she's due for a rear tire I may get ambitious and really work at it.

As for the handling with the 180/55. I went out this last Saturday and did an Ortega Hwy, to Dana Point, to Long Beach and back to home loop and I like the way the bike feels now. The rear of the bike feels more planted when really getting on it out of a turn. Everywhere else the bike feels very much the same. It doesn't feel sluggish to turn in at all and it feels abit better under braking.

Thanks for the info on the handling.

Great find on the wheel, I've got it as a saved search on ebay but missed that one

Let us know how that paint holds up against rocks/tire changes/etc :warranty:

Archived