85 VFKr battery rating question

grazi

Hey all,

The previous owner of my VF1000R gave me a new battery with the bike. While the box says it's XTAX16-BS (BatteriesPlus AGM 16ah model for VF), the battery inside actually is XTAX14AH-BS (see attached pic). Since I beat him up on price negotiation wink.gif, I can't go back to him and "complain." My question is, what are the potential negative side effects of using this battery in the VFR, ie voltage regulator working harder etc? The height and width are almost identical, but the 14AH is 3/4" shorter. The post configuration is correct +/-. Per the company website the CCA rating is the same at 205 for both, which is higher than the standard acid filled version.

I'm not against buying another battery but hoping this one will work. This bike isn't a daily driver. More like once a month.

Appreciate your comments.

post-19726-126910523993_thumb.png

If you keep it on a battery tender (seeing as how you said the bike won't be ridden very often) then you should be OK.

The CCA may be the same, but the 14 may have slightly less reserve capacity than the 16.

Obviously if I had the choice, I would go for the bigger battery every time. That's why I have a -14 in my bike instead of a -12.

As for the battery being shorter, use the bottom of the battery as a template and carve yourself a spacer out of 3/4" plywood. Done.

Update. I took the battery into my Batteries Plus (outlet for Xtreme Permaseal AGM batteries) and told them the story...wrong battery on the right box. The guy apologized and without a receipt exchanged it on the spot. Big props to Batteries Plus. Back to a full 16 Amps.

• Member Contributer

That's great service. BTW, I have a standard Westco battery in my R and after sitting for almost 3 months it started right up, no tender used. I wouldn't even try that on my '99 VFR. I assume the older bikes that don't have the always on, always draining electrics, can sit much longer and retain a charge. My CB was the same way.

Archived