Wide Foot, Big Calves, High Arch

VFRBulldawg

• Member Contributer

Ok, I have bad feet, like a Hobbit. My pediatrist gave me a gold ring to throw into a fiery mountain in Mordor. (Ok so maybe not that bad and I don't actually have a pediatrist)

OK. I usually wear size 8 1/2 or 9 length with 4E (also called EEEE or H) width. I also have a high arch which usually means that any boots that do not lace up the top result (MC boots or ski boots) in a very tight fit across the top of the foot where it curves up into the ankle. I also have large calves. At 12 to 13 inches from the bottom of my foot where racing style boots usually end they are about 18 inces around.

I can't seem to find any boots that come in wide sizes. I want a quality racing/track style boot with alot of ankle crush protection that is also perforated since it gets rather hot and humid down here in Georgia. All these boots are made in European sizes which I gather would be C or D width, meaning I'd have to go several sizes up in length just so I could fit my foot in. I also don't want to spend a bunch of money on some nice boots that I cram my feet into and then I blow the zippers or seams after one season of riding.

I have been looking at the higher end Sidi boots (Vertigo and Vortice) since they have adjustable calf features. Anybody know if they will be big enough and fit Ok in other places? Does anybody have other suggestions? I don't think a boot exists that will fit me right so I am going to have to compromise on some things.

I have been look at the higher end Sidi boots (Vertigo and Vortice) since they have adjustable calf features. Anybody know if they will be big enough and fit Ok in other places? Does anybody have other suggestions?

Finding shoes that fit is hard enough. I pretty much only wear New Balance shoes, Redwing boots, and Johnston & Murphy dress shoes since I can get them in very wide sizes. Finding ski boots is a nightmare, but at least ski stores usually have a decent selection to try on. Down here in Warner Robins there are not very many big motorcycle stores that stock anything. Even the bigger stores in Atlanta don't stock much in the way of high end track style boots. We have way more Harley riders than sport bike riders and so many of the sport bike riders are the squidly types that don't wear much gear, or if they do they don't wear the high quality stuff.

I don't want to spend months and lots of money in return shipping buying boots on the internet and returning them because they don't fit. Can y'all help me out? Thanks.

Not much to add except have a look at these, might not be what you're looking for, but I'm out of ideas, sorry:

http://www.newenough.com/street/boots/waterproof_sport_street_touring_boots/sidi/way_mega_wide_rain_motorcycle_boots.html

Good luck in your Quest young Hobbit. :pinocchio:

• Member Contributer

Not much to add except have a look at these, might not be what you're looking for, but I'm out of ideas, sorry:

http://www.newenough.com/street/boots/waterproof_sport_street_touring_boots/sidi/way_mega_wide_rain_motorcycle_boots.html

Good luck in your Quest young Hobbit. :pinocchio:

Thanks. I found those and the Sidi Vertigo Mega Gore-tex boots. I may have to go with one of those. I would just really prefer to get perforated/ventilated boots since it gets so hot and humid here. I would hate to be tempted to leave a really good pair of boots at home and wear my Icon Tarmac boots when I intend to go do a long or challenging ride just because it's 95+ degrees and really humid. I have a pair of Icon Tarmac boots that are really well ventilated but the protection they offer is fairly light on the ankles. I would prefer to only be using those for short around town trips where I'd be spending more time walking around at my destination than I did riding to get there.

• Member Contributer

Z Custom Leathers will make a boot to your measure, in whatever color you like, for about what you'd pay for a ready-made boot. I bet you could get them in perf leather.

I wear leathers made by Z, and I recommend them highly for service and quality. If I didn't prefer waterproof boots, I'd seriously consider these myself.

• Member Contributer

Howdy VRFBulldawg,

We must be kin. I put my feet together and they make a circle. I go 6e, but that is really hard to find anymore.

I always wanted motorcycle boots. I have searched for more than twenty years, And Daytona GTX wide is the best thing that I have found. They are true to length, well in width, sized euro, and not cheap.

Here is the link, http://www.helimot.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?search=yes&bc=no

Good luck-

Mac

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the suggestions. Well I went with the Sidi Vertigo Mega Gore-tex in size 43. They fit rather well on my 8 1/2, 4E foot. They are also larger in the calf and fit me there very well also. It is also got enough room for me to wear thick wool or double socks so this should be a good winter boot for me too. I wore them on a nice 200+ mile group ride yesterday. I am pleased with the boots and it will be a great spring, fall, and winter boot. I will wear them in the summer, but I expect it be rather hot due to no ventilation. When you loosen the rear calf armor adjustment piece they also aren't too bad for walking around in for a short time, though I would not want to take a long walk in them.

• Member Contributer

I've had this problem with Wide foot and high arch all my life. I've had to resign myself to buying footwear that is way too long for me in order to fit the width and arch height. I don't think there are many boots or shoes in my collection that I couldn't wear with at least one roll of quarters in front of my toes.

I always buy a larger size and then stuff in a high-quality sole insert (the types that break in a little as your toes, balls, and heels sink into them. I usually wear something like an 7-1/2EEEE but can get away with an 8-1/2EEE in shoes. You can't find boots like that usually so I'm in the 9-"wide" or 10 regular territory most of the time. The secret is good inserts. Let your toes have a bit of extra space in the front of them and learn to roll your toes by landing on your heals and rolling through your feet as you walk. If you drag your feet like a gallumph you'll have problems with the longer toes and be a trip-hazard/danger for yourself and everyone around you

This practice works for me and I never get blisters or have any foot trouble no matter how far or long I walk/hike -not even in the military when I went through (too large) Boot Camp in a combat-arms MOS (19D Scout -go Cav!).

One thing that doesn't work for me using this method is steel-toed boots. They just DO NOT WORK for me in any size I've ever found. Total rubbage and pain. Steel toed boots are EVIL -it HATES them it does! Working in construction this has been a constant battle for me. the trick is getting work boots that LOOK like steel toed boots so nobody questions them (or working your way up to Foreman/Superintendant so nobody CAN question you wink.gif

Plus, I've always got room to store quarters, or maybe an extra pair of socks if that becomes necessary wink.gif

Archived