Fenda Extenda

Serenity_VFR

• Member Contributer

I just did the Superhawk fan swap the other day.

It was time to change the coolant anyhow, so while I had the bike stripped and the coolant drained I pulled the left radiator to work on the fan the easy way. It went well but I was amazed at the amount of road tar, goop, and even chip-seal rocks that were jammed up inside there. There even was a tiny chipseal pebble jammed up in the fan motor housing that freaked me out since I didn't see it at first when I tested the fan out and it was rubbing on the fan.

When I repainted the bike last year I decided to make the bottom of the bike a wedge of roll-on bedliner as the red factory paint had chipped off so bad that it was just black plastic on the bottom of the "scoop." I also bedlinered the inner black scoop part as it looked like bottom of a plastic snow shovel. At least it was black all the way through. Now it is reinforced with bedliner.

The point is, the stock fender sucks. Water, rock chips (I like to ride gravel roads) and all sorts of debris gets thrown back at the engine. Honda went with style over actual effectiveness when they made the fender -that much is clear.

I've done some research and found a product called the Fenda Extenda but it seems to be only available for the Vtec. Is the Gen5 fender that different from the Gen6? Or are the Fenda Extenda people just not aware that the Gen5 is not a Vtec?

Anyone have any experience with these? I don't care if people think it is ugly. My bike is black/gray anyhow so another black plastic part will just fit in. Maybe I can cut something myself and shove in there and save the $40-some bucks...

• Member Contributer

Make one out of a plastic detergent bottle, or cut up a truck mudflap.

• Member Contributer

If you install a Fenda Extenda, I suggest not using the rivet method to attach to the fender as shown in your link photo. I used 2-part epoxy to attach the extanda on both my '07 VFR and on my '03 SV650. Take the fender off, rough up the surfaces on the fender and extenda and make alignment marks because the (Home Depot ?) epoxy I used hardens fast.

If you install a Fenda Extenda, I suggest not using the rivet method to attach to the fender as shown in your link photo. I used 2-part epoxy to attach the extanda on both my '07 VFR and on my '03 SV650. Take the fender off, rough up the surfaces on the fender and extenda and make alignment marks because the (Home Depot ?) epoxy I used hardens fast.

Good post ,thats what I do.

Plasma.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys and Girls,

Have the Fender Extender (real carbon fibre ... E-Bay from Spain).

Fantastic fit.

Removed the fender, used paint prep to clean both surfaces and then used a black polyurethene adhesive.

Used two G-Clamps to hold it in place to dry for 48 hours.

Then used the adhesive to fill in the outer crack where both the fender extender and front fender join. Just use your finger covered in turps on the adhesive once layed, to get a smooth surface.

Nearly impossible to see the extender and my engine stays alot cleaner.

The fender extender fitted has now travelled 4,500 kms over very rough Australian roads probably at a 140 km/h average. Have had the bike over 220 km/h a few times on the track, and the fender extender is showing no sign of moving or flexing.

Warren

Melbourne, Australiapost-16600-127199506462_thumb.jpgpost-16600-127199498606_thumb.jpgpost-16600-127199513417_thumb.jpgpost-16600-127199520162_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • Member Contributer

[...]Have the Fender Extender (real carbon fibre ... E-Bay from Spain).[...]

Hey Warren, exactly which one did you buy? Right now on eBay I don't see any carbon fibre ones from Spain. I see one from Bluebird Engineering in the UK but it doesn't look as long as yours and I'd prefer a longer one like yours.

Archived