Bars/ risers options?

blackbrainedjohnny

Question

I've got an '07 VFR And i have always liked the looks of regular bars on sportbikes. Am i going to have to drill the triple clamp to install risers? And what to do about the forktubes sticking through the triple clamp? Seems like they could interfere with the new handlebars.

8 answers to this question

The two main options seem to be Helibars and GenMar risers. Both are basically bolt-on, and the Genmars are simple and quick, the Heli's a bit more work. There is a lot of info on them here if you look around.

The Heli's make a significant rise, resulting in almost a "standard" position. They make the transition from cruiser very easy. The GenMar's are a much smaller rise and back. I went with Heli's way back when on my 98, but I sortof regretted not taking the time to adjust to the more aggressive stock position. This time around I'm going with GenMars, see how that goes. Closer to stock has to better on some "puritan" level!

Doug will be along shortly to explain his homegrown solution, but in the meantime, here is a link to the very nice, very expensive LSL Superbike bar kit:

http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/sbk.cfm

120H098.jpg

Actually, I just checked, and at $289.00, it's comparable to Helibars in price. :fing02:

I have the GenMars, and they make a nice possitive difference without changing the riding position dramatically. For me, $ was part of the reason. The GenMars are about $125 vs double for the helis. I don't know about the Heli installation, but the GenMars are a snap, and the quality is, IMO, excellent. You can check the GenMars out here.

http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi

Doug will be along shortly to explain his homegrown solution, but in the meantime, here is a link to the very nice, very expensive LSL Superbike bar kit:

120H098.jpg

Actually, I just checked, and at $289.00, it's comparable to Helibars in price. :fing02:

I just found out about the LSL this afternoon. Same price as the helibars basically. I think these are going to be my choice if I dont find a quality (cheaper method). Seems like the problem with drilling through the triple clamp is you still have the fork legs noticably protruding through the triple clamp.

• Member Contributer

Two options.

1] I think this is what you are looking for:

M&P link #1, M&P link #2. They have them in 43mm.

2] Or you could try these. I have a couple of sets that I haven't put up for sale here yet.

gallery_17070_4949_613515.jpg

Bars-1

gallery_17070_4949_1241331.jpg

Bars-3

Glenn

I just found out about the LSL this afternoon. Same price as the helibars basically. I think these are going to be my choice if I dont find a quality (cheaper method). Seems like the problem with drilling through the triple clamp is you still have the fork legs noticably protruding through the triple clamp.

120H098.jpg

I ordered mine (LSL) a few weeks ago. They were on back order and I was told 3 weeks at the time. Don't forget to order new bar ends as well. The LSL bars have a small ID and standard bar ends don't fit. I ordered the LSL eliptical bar ends. I can't wait to get mine installed. I've used the LSL kit on several bikes. Top notch parts and well worth the money.

There is also rumor that the LSL kit will not work with the stock throttle cables. Well.. I spoke directly to the owner of Speigler USA and he assures me that they test fit the kit and they will work if installed properly. I also spoke to a friend of mine that owns a local shop. He installed the LSL kit on an 06 VFR with no throttle cable issues. I'll know for sure in a few weeks when I install mine. :fing02:

Archived