Rear Pad Too Thick?

Guest DarkKnight

• Member Contributer

Just bought a set of Galfer Blacks (FD205G1054 front; FD207G1054 rear) for the scooter (98). The rear pad seems too thick(?). The part numbers are correct for the application, but with the anti vibe wafer and the metal backing dohickey they won't fit... SO I pulled the wafer and got them to install. Can barely turn rotor. Issue besides the obvious is that the Galfers don't have the gas groove so I CUT MY OWN (which is something I normally do with the pads on my car). So now I OWN a set of pads that are too thick. Is this issue common? Or do the gurus already know that the rear Galfer FD207G1054 is actually too thick for the 5 gen that it is prescribed for and they just buy 3 sets of fronts? Next up: since I OWN said pad, whats the best way to remove the extra thickness (evenly)? All help is always greatly appreciated! :blink:

I had the same issue when I ought some Gafflers as well. I think I went on down to the Honda store and picked up a set of Genuine Honda pads. Every thing was the same ...except for the thickness.

• 5 months later...

I'm glad I read this thread... I have this same exact problem right now... Galfer pads and the rear wheel is dragging... I will be pulling apart tomorrow and rechecking/cleaning the pistons... I won't bring a sander to a set of pads... don't need asbestos in my lungs... I'll go back to cyclegear and hassle first...

~mikeym

I'm glad I read this thread... I have this same exact problem right now... Galfer pads and the rear wheel is dragging... I will be pulling apart tomorrow and rechecking/cleaning the pistons... I won't bring a sander to a set of pads... don't need asbestos in my lungs... I'll go back to cyclegear and hassle first...

~mikeym

Modern sintered brake pads should all be asbestos-free.

Sintered brake pads are mostly metal. Copper and ceramics mixed together actually.

• 2 years later...

Dusting off this old thread for some info I just dug up.

According to:

http://www.galferusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/galfer-pad-specs.pdf

The pad thicknesses are as follows:

205 front = 7.5mm thick

207 rear = 9.4 mm thick

Remember this is for galfer only, other mfgrs may just sell the same pads for both front and rear.

Archived