Headlights,start Button, Cause Bike To Fail!..

Guest TonyVFR800

Guest TonyVFR800

OK Ive got an 05 vfr800, When i start the bike, if i let go of the start button the bike dies, but if i continue to hold it the starter continuses to crank, until i put the bike into gear and drive off, only problem is ive got to hold the start button or it will die mid ride.. This is no good!.. and btw my headlights wont come on at all... im brand new to having a motorcycle, and bought it used with these problems, so ive got a project on my hands.. Please help me with anything anyone can give me.. thanks guys!..

Hi and welcome to VFRD, sorry that your starting out with issues on such a great bike! :rolleyes:

Sounds like a bad ground wire or starter switch issue. I'm a little foggy at the moment but will try to help out.

There is a wire harness Recall for the 02-05 VFR that Honda will replace once for free, let me look for the link for you.

Also check "Vtec electrical issues" threads in our help section.

Here's the blue ground wire fix thread

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34394

Just click on the 6th Gen VFR section and most related topics are there Tony. :biggrin:

hmmm.. ok.. what is the blue connector ground fix supposed to do for me?? Please excusse me, im new to all this. The right handle switch was recently replaced thinking that it would fix the problem with having to hold down the start button, unfortunetly it didnt, it did temporayily but eventually had the same prob. According to Honda, the recall issue was performed on this bike, but the previous owner said that after it was done thats when the problems happened. IM wondering if the front wire harness needs to be replaced, as well as the left handle control switch too, Anyone know???..

• Member Contributer
hmmm.. ok.. what is the blue connector ground fix supposed to do for me?? Please excusse me, im new to all this. The right handle switch was recently replaced thinking that it would fix the problem with having to hold down the start button, unfortunetly it didnt, it did temporayily but eventually had the same prob. According to Honda, the recall issue was performed on this bike, but the previous owner said that after it was done thats when the problems happened. IM wondering if the front wire harness needs to be replaced, as well as the left handle control switch too, Anyone know???..

As BR indicated, "Sounds like a bad ground wire or starter switch issue." Replacing the right and left controls will not address this issue. Start by looking at the starter and checking the wire coming out. It should be clear of corrosion and snug. If not, take if off, clean with a wire brush and a bit of baking soda & water and re-attach.

I would also get some electrical contact cleaner and scan the wires from the left hand to the headlight.

Read the thread on the recal and you'll see that an overheating problem causes the main fuse to blow and that could be impacting your issues.

As BR indicated, "Sounds like a bad ground wire or starter switch issue." Replacing the right and left controls will not address this issue. Start by looking at the starter and checking the wire coming out. It should be clear of corrosion and snug. If not, take if off, clean with a wire brush and a bit of baking soda & water and re-attach.

I would also get some electrical contact cleaner and scan the wires from the left hand to the headlight.

Read the thread on the recal and you'll see that an overheating problem causes the main fuse to blow and that could be impacting your issues.

Beautiful!!.. thanks guys!.. ill work on that and get back to ya with some updated info.. thanks again!, also.. is there a tool like the OBG tools for cars that u can plug in and it tells you all the issues???

• Member Contributer

+1. Check that the wires (spade terminals) coming off of the switch are plugged in and that all contacts are clean. You should also check all fuses.

Beautiful!!.. thanks guys!.. ill work on that and get back to ya with some updated info.. thanks again!, also.. is there a tool like the OBG tools for cars that u can plug in and it tells you all the issues???

I don't know if a tool is readily available, but right below the main fuse box underneath the Right Meter panel is a diagnosis port for Fuel Injection and ECU issues--but if your problem is a loose wire, bad contact, bad ground, or blown fuse this won't help you.

Go into the fuse box. Non abs front right. Pull out the fuse for the headlight. If it runs after you pull it out, you have a recall issue. I just went through this. When you power up the bike, can you hear the fuel pump pressurize the system?

Go into the fuse box. Non abs front right. Pull out the fuse for the headlight. If it runs after you pull it out, you have a recall issue. I just went through this. When you power up the bike, can you hear the fuel pump pressurize the system?

Ok.. yes it is the NON abs version... Im not sure how to get to the fuse box, im sorry, but this is my first bike, i know about cars.. but unfortunetly not too much about bikes.. but if you explain it im sure ill be fine.. and as for the fuel pump, im not sure what it sounds like, cuz i just keep hearing the starter cranking until i put the bike in gear, then it stops cranking. cuz remember i cant let o of the stupid start button or else it shuts down.

ALso one more question. does my bike have vtec in it?? and if so.. what the hell is it and how would i know if i do have it??

i just keep hearing the starter cranking until i put the bike in gear, then it stops cranking. cuz remember i cant let o of the stupid start button or else it shuts down.

You'd better stop doing this (holding the starter button after the engine has started up) or you're going to damage your starter motor, among other things.

ALso one more question. does my bike have vtec in it?? and if so.. what the hell is it and how would i know if i do have it??

All post 2002 vfrs have vtec engines (second set of valves engage above 6800 rpm).

Oh, and welcome to the site!

There is a small section of fairing to the right of the clock that makes the corner. I think with only 2x5mm bolts and a plastic clip. Carefull with the plastic clip. Push in the center and pull out the edges. You can reach behind that one andpush it a little. The fuse box is right under this small fairing that takes the corner. The fuel pump should be heard when you turn on teh key, and have the run button on. It will buzz for a few seconds to build up fuel pressure and then quit.

Also, do your turn signals work? If they don't it is also a clue you are dealing with the harness recall.

• Member Contributer
There is a small section of fairing to the right of the clock that makes the corner. I think with only 2x5mm bolts and a plastic clip. Carefull with the plastic clip. Push in the center and pull out the edges. You can reach behind that one andpush it a little. The fuse box is right under this small fairing that takes the corner. The fuel pump should be heard when you turn on teh key, and have the run button on. It will buzz for a few seconds to build up fuel pressure and then quit.

Also, do your turn signals work? If they don't it is also a clue you are dealing with the harness recall.

+1. Just be careful taking this piece of plastic out. It is called the right meter panel. plastic clip near the dash, one pan screw on top of the panel, one below, and it will pull out. It feels like it won't come out without bending and breaking it, but if you're careful you can pull it out no problem.

If we could know all of the symptoms that would help. Does the FI light come on when you put the key in the run position? Do any lights work at any time? Are any fuses blown? (there is also a main fuse by the battery one will need to be checked). Let us know.

If you haven't got it all ready, download the service manual. You can download from this site LINK. It has most of the information you need to trouble shoot your bike.

Action

• 3 months later...

I have the exact same problem with a 2003 VFR800A. The FI light will not come on when the ignition is turned and the kill switch pushed to on. If i hit the starter button, the FI light will flash and the motor will turn over. Used a jumper wire to check for any stored faults and found none. Cleared the ECM memory per the service manual and this did not fix the issue. Tried replacing the relays (fuel stop and starter) with no luck. The wiring harness fix has been done.

Any suggestions that might lead to a fix would be appreciated greatly.

Tony / Moi,

Take the left side fairing off...the lower part. Just keep pulling the allen screws and eventually you will figure it out. There are a couple plastic clips that you need to remove as well. Just under the left handlebar, where the frame curves around...you will see a BIG blue plastic connector. As you look at the connector at the very bottom corner is the ground wire. I bet if you pull the connector apart you will find that bottom wire is corroded...it's where all the water drips off the connector. I jumped straight across the connector with another wire (cut the wire on either side of the connector and then splice them together). I also added another wire and tied it directly to the negative on the battery...good ground now.

The fuel pump makes a whining noise for a few seconds when you first turn the key on..

Somewhere on this site there are great pictures of the connector I speak of....and to my knowledge the recall doesn't mess with that one, unless they swap the entire harness.

Tony / Moi,

Take the left side fairing off...the lower part. Just keep pulling the allen screws and eventually you will figure it out. There are a couple plastic clips that you need to remove as well. Just under the left handlebar, where the frame curves around...you will see a BIG blue plastic connector. As you look at the connector at the very bottom corner is the ground wire. I bet if you pull the connector apart you will find that bottom wire is corroded...it's where all the water drips off the connector. I jumped straight across the connector with another wire (cut the wire on either side of the connector and then splice them together). I also added another wire and tied it directly to the negative on the battery...good ground now.

The fuel pump makes a whining noise for a few seconds when you first turn the key on..

Somewhere on this site there are great pictures of the connector I speak of....and to my knowledge the recall doesn't mess with that one, unless they swap the entire harness.

Thanks, but the ground wire on the blue connector has been fixed already (about 6 months ago) per the instructions in another thread hence my consternation. I am able to start the bike if i remove the headlight fuse from the left side fuse box with no issues. The ground to both the hi and lo beams is screwed somewhere between the relays and the connectors. Opened the starter switch on the right handle bar and found no obvious issues. Looking at the wiring diagram, the existing ground is shared with the horn, side stand kill switch, headlights and their corresponding relays.

Plan is to run a separate wire for the headlights bypassing the shared ground. Will require a bit of work since the relays and the 4 lights need to be changed. Hopefully, i can get the lights working again.

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but is this two people who have BOTH had the recall done who are having the same issue?

If so, I thought the blue connector went away with the recall (or rather they rerouted the ground wires). I haven't had the recall done (did the VFRness and the blue wire mode myself of course).

I find it odd that putting it in gear keeps it running...unless you mean once moving you are ok. Will it run in gear with the clutch in? what if you then put it in neutral (clutch still in)? What if you try to start it with the bike in neutral but the clutch in?

These issues seem to point to an issue with the clutch and neutral safety switches, and possibly the side stand switch (one of them, not all of them of course). Would be much easier to diagnose with a multi-meter and the bike present...

Archived