Power Commander 2

CandyRedRC46

Question

i have the opportunity to purchase a pc2 that was designed for a 98-01 vfr800. if this is compatible with the 02+ vtec vfr's i would like to install it on my bike in conjunction ith the pc3 that i already have. i would be using the pc2 solely for ignition advancement and the pc3 for fueling. i am just hoping to hear from some of you guys before i drop a hundred bucks on a pc2 that might not fit my bike...

so has anyone ever heard of a vtec vfr with a power commander 2 on it?

thanks guys

7 answers to this question

No, I don't know of anyone that has a PC2 on a Vtec, nor do I know of anyone that would be putting one on.

If you already have the PC3 on the bike, why not install the ignition control module to the pc3?

Dynojet ignition control module.

It integrates with the PC3 and provides the ignition adjustments that the pc2 did.

What I really want to know is What happened to the PC 4?????

• Member Contributer
No, I don't know of anyone that has a PC2 on a Vtec, nor do I know of anyone that would be putting one on.

If you already have the PC3 on the bike, why not install the ignition control module to the pc3?

Dynojet ignition control module.

It integrates with the PC3 and provides the ignition adjustments that the pc2 did.

What I really want to know is What happened to the PC 4?????

The ignition module is not made for VFR's.

Okay had not paid enough attention to that detail, all though it makes me wonder why??

What is it about the VFR that makes it incompatible with the Ignition module, and second how does the pc2 overcome that?

Okay had not paid enough attention to that detail, all though it makes me wonder why??

What is it about the VFR that makes it incompatible with the Ignition module, and second how does the pc2 overcome that?

incompatible? im thinking that it is compatible, but for some reason dynojet just hasnt taken the time to look into it...

i wouldnt be surprised if there was a certain year cbr 600 1000 or 1100 ignition module that fits, no problem...

• Member Contributer

incompatible? im thinking that it is compatible, but for some reason dynojet just hasnt taken the time to look into it...

i wouldnt be surprised if there was a certain year cbr 600 1000 or 1100 ignition module that fits, no problem...

That is entirely possible. I can't imagine there is something aout the VFR that would make it harder to do, I just think Dynojet hasn't done it because the market isn't there like it is for CBR's, GSX-R's, and even VTX1800's.

The reason that the PCII is able to do it and the PCIII isn't is because of how they work. The PCIII intercepts the signal after the ECU, alters it, then sends it to the Injectors. The PCII intercepts the signal before the ECU, and alters the parameters (it gives it different air temperature, density, etc. readings) and the the ECU adds or subtracts fuel. So the PCII just tells the ECU that the timing is being mentally challenged, and the computer compensates. This is also why the PCIII needs a module and the PCII does not.

So, it may very well be possible to get a CBR ignition module to fit, but it might take some inventive programming. Remember a V4 has a different firing order than an inline four.

That is entirely possible. I can't imagine there is something aout the VFR that would make it harder to do, I just think Dynojet hasn't done it because the market isn't there like it is for CBR's, GSX-R's, and even VTX1800's.

The reason that the PCII is able to do it and the PCIII isn't is because of how they work. The PCIII intercepts the signal after the ECU, alters it, then sends it to the Injectors. The PCII intercepts the signal before the ECU, and alters the parameters (it gives it different air temperature, density, etc. readings) and the the ECU adds or subtracts fuel. So the PCII just tells the ECU that the timing is being mentally challenged, and the computer compensates. This is also why the PCIII needs a module and the PCII does not.

So, it may very well be possible to get a CBR ignition module to fit, but it might take some inventive programming. Remember a V4 has a different firing order than an inline four.

well one thing that i do know is that you can use the same power commander 3 for ALL vfr800 models, from 98 through 09. they are all the same basic part number with, i believe, the last 3 digits changed. basically just different maps, but the same hardware and connectors. so we do know that you can take a 98-01 vfr800 and install a pc2 and a pc3, but im not sure if you can do this on a vtec. the pc2 plugs in line with the ecu, the pc3 plugs inline with the fuel system... so we know that the 5th and 6th gen have the same fuel system connections.... but, do the 5th and 6th gen have the same ecu connections???

well one thing that i do know is that you can use the same power commander 3 for ALL vfr800 models, from 98 through 09. they are all the same basic part number with, i believe, the last 3 digits changed. basically just different maps, but the same hardware and connectors. so we do know that you can take a 98-01 vfr800 and install a pc2 and a pc3, but im not sure if you can do this on a vtec. the pc2 plugs in line with the ecu, the pc3 plugs inline with the fuel system... so we know that the 5th and 6th gen have the same fuel system connections.... but, do the 5th and 6th gen have the same ecu connections???

I don't know that was why I suggested the ignition module.

What might work is if you can get to parts shop fiche, look the at what signals the PCII and the secondary ignition module both use and see if those components are shared across different models (like say the VFR and on of the CBRs) then order the ignition module for the second bike.

Dynojet is not much help on this as they say the PCV won't work on the earlier 5th gen's but it will.

Maybe you could contact Fuelmotousa and get their input on this.

Archived