Performance

Guest VFR09

As many who've read my intro thread know, I'm on the lookout for a 96/97 model VFR so I don't have one as of yet.

However, I'm already planning upgrades and checking out prices. But I'm having trouble finding upgrade parts for the VFR's online, and hope that maybe some of ya'll can chime in and put their recommendations in this thread.

My VFR will be used as a daily driver, mostly city. However, I will also use it on longer rides.

I'm curious as to what I can do to boost engine performance. Make it more "sportier" around town.

Thanks for any guidance or hints.

smile.gif

• Member Contributer

Gearing. -1 +2 is common but I find it to be a tad too much

Used aftermarket header

air filter+jetting kit (should still be able to find new or old stock)

drop weight

It's not like a GSX-R where you can just buy some stuff out of a catalogue and bolt it on.

Aftermarket headers boost top end at the expense of midrange. A slip-on is the most cost effective way to open up the breathing, along with a K&N airfilter, shimming the needles with 0.030" shims (washers) and pulling out the airbox snorkel (which is there to reduce induction noise.

Swap the 43T rear sprocket for a 45T.

That's about as much as you can do without breaking the bank. It makes it much more rideable, with a flat torque delivery from just off idle through to 10k.

Spend any additional funds you have on doing up the suspension, and maybe a set of braided brakelines and EBC 'HH' pads.

It's not like a GSX-R where you can just buy some stuff out of a catalogue and bolt it on.

Hence why I'm turning to ya'll for input. :happy:

Thanks for all the suggestions. This will help me get a clear(er) picture of what I need to do. Front suspension will be changed to a harder spring, believe there are several links to them on the VFRD forums.

Jetting and a new "performance" filter is a must, done that on all my bikes. (Well, at least the filter part.)

Any recommendations to some slip ons? I'm especially looking for "unique" slip ons, maybe something like on the new(er) bikes with a triangle shape, however any slip on recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking for some dealers here in Norway, but I'm undoubtedly going to have to order 99% of the stuff from back 'home' in the states.

Thanks again for the help guys, ya'll are the best. :fing02:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Here i have boosted bike performance no end!

Over the mountain here it screams!

The front end stability is truly awsome!

Better pics to come as i reach more of a finish... swing arm and a few bits to finish yet....

gallery_5025_556_43678.jpg

DSC00605.JPG

gallery_5025_556_358864.jpg

bike.JPG

When I had my old '96 VFR, I kept it stock, with the one exception of a K&N filter, but that didn't stay long.

As for performance, a really good tune-up, including valve adj., plugs, filter, carb adj. worked wonders on mine. Not being a bike mechanic, or any other sort of one, I took mine to a reputable performance shop. Watched much of what they did, particularly the carb tuning. Following the work, that old high mileage VFR ran like a bat out of hell.