94 Vfer - Tach Not Working

Guest Fasterski

Guest Fasterski

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone would have any input on the tach not working on the VFR. Eventying seems to be ok just the tach needle stays put. Anything I can think of is about me changing spark plugs recently. Is there anything obvious I could have unplugged doing that?

TIA

Dom

Hi Dom,

It's unlikely that you caused any problems with connectors but it's worth giving those that go into the motor a once-over.

Problems with speedo and/or tacho are often indicative of a failing regulator/rectifier (don't ask me why!). Do some diagnostics on your charging system with a multimeter - from the battery terminals, you should see around 12.8v at rest (off), 13.8v at idle and 14.5v at a steady 5k rpm. Significant deviations from this call for further investigation of both the battery and reg/rec (a problem with one can cause or hide a problem with the other).

• 3 years later...

I'm having the same issue with my 95 4G. everything works, all the gauges, lights and everything in between. except my tachometer.

My R/R failed and I replaced it with a Ricks R/R. the battery is at the voltage you mentioned but still Tachy no worky. help. :unsure:

Archived