I Have A Small Problem With A Fuel Cap In My Way.......

greatwhite

So, I've got a tank from an 86 vfr750f2 that I'm going to be using on a custom build (on my 85). It's in good shape from the outside. You could pretty much call it "mint".

But here's the problem;

There a fuel cap on it and I don't have the key.

Any idea on how I can get a key for it, or at least get the cap off without destroying the cap or the tank?

:cool:

Edited by greatwhite

So, I've got a tank from an 86 vfr750f2 that I'm going to be using on a custom build (on my 85). It's in good shape from the outside. You could pretty much call it "mint".

But here's the problem;

Any idea on how I can get a key for it, or at least get the cap off without destroying the cap or the tank?

Take it to a lock smith, he can get it open and get a key for you too...

But here's the problem;

Take it to a lock smith, he can get it open and get a key for you too...

Pretty much what I figured...

Just thought there might be a way to have a key cut otherwise.

Oh well...... :dry:

The only way you'll be able to open it with a key, is if you get the serial # from the ignition of the same bike. With that, a dealer can order you a new key.

Or, you can hire a thief to pick it for you. Just don't meet him at your home. :cool:

The only way you'll be able to open it with a key, is if you get the serial # from the ignition of the same bike. With that, a dealer can order you a new key.

Or, you can hire a thief to pick it for you. Just don't meet him at your home. :cool:

Ignition is long gone....just have the tank.

Off to the locksmith for me!

I had to get the cap off a VF500 tank once, and had no key. It took just a couple hard knocks with a flathead screwdriver & a hammer to pop it open. Of course, the lock was junk once it opened... :cool: That didn't matter at the time though, as the bike was being parted out anyway.

VF500F001-1.jpg