Shocked

original007

Won a CBR929 shock on E-BAY lastnight awaiting delivery.Picked it up for $30,only bidder.Time to refresh myself on the install topic.I can't wait. Accepting any additional hint/tips!

What year? Did you try the search? There is a complete write up with pics and install notes for both the 4th and 5th gens:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17268

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...t=0#entry592851

Won a CBR929 shock on E-BAY lastnight awaiting delivery.Picked it up for $30,only bidder.Time to refresh myself on the install topic.I can't wait. Accepting any additional hint/tips!

What year? Did you try the search? There is a complete write up with pics and install notes for both the 4th and 5th gens:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17268

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...t=0#entry592851

Its for a '99 thanks for the links I'm not very good at searching.Should be fun!Next what to do with the forks.More research.Kind of hard with a very limited budget.Kids got to come 1st.With 4 of them always something they need.

Ok Got the 929 shock installed. I went about a quarter in shorter on my spacer given my 30 inch inseam so I need to move the forks to quicken up the steering again.My question to those who have done this mod is what settings are you running on the shock. I have not yet set sag just finished the install and took a quick ride. I weigh about 170.Any advice would be appreciated to save a bunch of trial and error. Thanks, Jim

• Member Contributer
Ok Got the 929 shock installed. I went about a quarter in shorter on my spacer given my 30 inch inseam so I need to move the forks to quicken up the steering again.My question to those who have done this mod is what settings are you running on the shock. I have not yet set sag just finished the install and took a quick ride. I weigh about 170.Any advice would be appreciated to save a bunch of trial and error. Thanks, Jim

It really doesn't matter what other's are using for their settings - you need to set it for you. Start by setting your sag, this will be the first step. Next you should adjust the rebound damping (by the lower clevis) and lastly the compression damping (reservoir). There is lots of info online for how to adjust these settings, but the bottom line is to adjust until it suits your riding style.

It really doesn't matter what other's are using for their settings - you need to set it for you. Start by setting your sag, this will be the first step. Next you should adjust the rebound damping (by the lower clevis) and lastly the compression damping (reservoir). There is lots of info online for how to adjust these settings, but the bottom line is to adjust until it suits your riding style.

+1.gif What he said!

I always suggest this, but seldom to it myself. :blink:

Ideally after setting sag and air pressures you should find a streach of road(loop)or track that gives you a little bit of every type of riding/corners you normally ride. Set comp at full soft and rebound either at full soft of in the middle, then run your test loop. Record how it felt to you. The idea is to go to full extremes at first so you can quickly figure out which end of the scale you need to work on. None of these changes should cause a crash and if the bike feels really crappy right off the bat just pull over and make a change inthe opposite direction.

Now set the rebound to full hard and run test loop. record results. Did that feel better or worse?

Do it again at full soft(rebound), how did that feel? better/worse??? if you liked it better at full stiff then go back out and back if off 1/2 turn and run the loop again. Better/worse?

Keep doing this until you find the best feel for you and how you ride!

Now go do the same thing with the compression side until it feels best to you.

Obviously laps at a track would be easiest place to do this if you have someone to help change settings in the hot pits, but there would be no better way to set up your bike than by how it feels to YOU, because everyone rides different and no one setting will work for everyone.

Very time consuming though!

On the other hand a lot of avg. riders might never feel a difference! :laugh:

Archived