Comparison; Givi Vs Motech Mounts For V35?

rdguy

• Member Contributer

Well, the post title should be clear enough.

What are the pros and cons of these two mount systems for the V35s?

Thanks in advance,

Glenn

• Member Contributer

I used an SW-Motech mount for my Givi top box (don't remember the model off the top of my head, it doesn't matter, it's classic Givi Monokey). I picked it because of it's lower profile and shorter distance between the box and the bike; the Givi mount looks pretty tall and I didn't think I need to raise the center of gravity of the bike any, plus it flat looks better in my opinion. With the Monokey adapter removed (takes about 20 seconds with a flat screwdriver) it's not too noticeable. Quality seems good and the box seems fairly secure.

Have never been up close to the Givi top box mount so, grain of salt, but I'm happy with my SW-M mount and am interested in getting their quick-release side case mounts when funding is available.

• Member Contributer

Can't tell you how they compare, but I am happy with my SW Motech. I chose it for several reasons:

1 - low profile

2 - light

3 - cheap (er)

4 - allows to open seat.

:biggrin: In an act of shameless self-promotion, I got a brand new one in classifieds at a discount.

• Member Contributer

I also have the SW Moto top rack and also have the Givi M5 mounted over the pillion seat. The Givi is a much sturdier mount that the SW Moto rack. I'm thinking of selling the SW Moto and picking up the Honda OEM topbox mount and then mounting my Givi to that. The SW Moto works, it's just not as sturdy as I want it to be when a passenger is using it as a backrest.

Hopefully someone has the side mounts from SW Moto to make a informed decision.

I had been thinking of going with the V35 setup last year and I researched both the Givi and Motech mounts. I was leaning towards the Motech because they could be removed when I didn't have the bags on the bike. IIRC the Motech were a little more expensive, but I felt the ability to remove them and just leave the mounting tabs was worth it.

I also like my SW-Motech rack. I use it with a Givi 45L Topcase. I like that you can barely tell its there when not carrying the topcase.

Here's what the rack looks like without the box and adapter plate...

DSCF5279.jpg

DSCF5277.jpg

I also have the SW Moto top rack and also have the Givi M5 mounted over the pillion seat. The Givi is a much sturdier mount that the SW Moto rack. I'm thinking of selling the SW Moto and picking up the Honda OEM topbox mount and then mounting my Givi to that. The SW Moto works, it's just not as sturdy as I want it to be when a passenger is using it as a backrest.

Is the SW mount sturdy enough mount when used with the top case? I know it lacks the lower support the Givi rack has, but man it does look clean.

I will be using it as a passenger backrest as well, but I don't see the occasion where I'll have a loaded top case AND a passenger using it for a backrest at the same time. I thought it would be nice to have the top case function as a backrest when I take my son for rides around town. When I travel, I'm solo.

Thanks

• Member Contributer

Is the SW mount sturdy enough mount when used with the top case? I know it lacks the lower support the Givi rack has, but man it does look clean.

I will be using it as a passenger backrest as well, but I don't see the occasion where I'll have a loaded top case AND a passenger using it for a backrest at the same time. I thought it would be nice to have the top case function as a backrest when I take my son for rides around town. When I travel, I'm solo.

Thanks

My wife has never complained that it feels questionable as far as sturdiness (is that a word?) goes. Her complaint is that after some time in the saddle the supports rub the back of her legs. This is documented on Twisted Throttle's website which is where I bought mine. I have let her use my Airhawk seat cushion and that seemed to help. It also puts the passenger a little farther forward so they don't have quite as much room. I would still say it was worth it for the price.

My wife has never complained that it feels questionable as far as sturdiness (is that a word?) goes. Her complaint is that after some time in the saddle the supports rub the back of her legs. This is documented on Twisted Throttle's website which is where I bought mine. I have let her use my Airhawk seat cushion and that seemed to help. It also puts the passenger a little farther forward so they don't have quite as much room. I would still say it was worth it for the price.

Well then, my guess would be the Givi mount would have a similar issue as it has supports that go up and bolt to the grab handles as well, but you did say you were looking at OEM now.

Actually a little less room might be better for riding my son back there. I doubt my wife will ever ride back there for any significant distance.

Are you considering selling it soon...

Thanks for the help.

• Member Contributer
I had been thinking of going with the V35 setup last year and I researched both the Givi and Motech mounts. I was leaning towards the Motech because they could be removed when I didn't have the bags on the bike. IIRC the Motech were a little more expensive, but I felt the ability to remove them and just leave the mounting tabs was worth it.

Thanks. I looked up the installation instructions for the Motech setup, and it looked like the lock location didn't offer a lot of security, and I didn't want to have to remove the mounts if the bags weren't on. Given the price difference (after including the Motech lock), I ordered the Givi mounts.

The tube racks are pretty unobtrisive, in any case.

• Member Contributer
Well then, my guess would be the Givi mount would have a similar issue as it has supports that go up and bolt to the grab handles as well, but you did say you were looking at OEM now.

Actually a little less room might be better for riding my son back there. I doubt my wife will ever ride back there for any significant distance.

Are you considering selling it soon...

Thanks for the help.

You can't use the Givi mount with the OEM side bags. That is the reason for looking at the OEM top rack. I have the Givi top rack but have cut it up trying to get it worked around the OEM side mounts. The Givi was much more stout as it mounts at six different points. The passenger comfort was better because where the SW Moto rack is round stock, the Givi is flat stock which the little bit of lower profile is all it takes to not invade on the passengers leg area.

In the end, it would most likely be great for you & your son. By the time he is big enough for the room to make a difference, he won't want to ride on the back of Dad's bike anyway. Shoot me a PM if you are interested in mine.

• Member Contributer

Sw motech alurack for Givi trunk has been a pretty good set up for me and I use the oem hardbags also. I like the quick removal of the ugly plate, the rack looks awesome by itself BUT the trunk does move around a bit, never falls off but wished it was more secure, twisted throttle has sent me another hardware kit but after last ride, looks like time for another pin or twist-latch. I like it fine but would also like something more secure between that ugly plate and great looking rack ....ideas? I would say its way better than givis system but not perfect. Thanks Doug

Ps- yes have tried both lengths of twist-pins

• 2 weeks later...

I have the givi rack and I'm really not happy with it. But it was free ...

1. it doesnt fit with my Staintunes, they touch it in one spot and I'm afraid either they'll dent my pipes or the pipes will heat and fatigue the metal of the racks (actually they never feel hot so heating is probably not an issue).

2. they block the turn signals a little bit, not much, but at certain angles, the bulb is entirely blocked. The glow/reflection/refraction from the lights is probably bright enough, but the more I can wake up the person next to me the better.

3. it's huge.

4. Givi recalled these racks and had us install an additional strap that attaches under the passenger handrests. The seat cowl barely fits between the new straps (so now the racks attach to the bike in 6 places).

5. It's hard (but not impossible) to remove the seat. I have a Sargent, I think the stock seat was a little easier to open but not much.

I'm thinking about buying a motech, I really like the way they look.

That's my two cents.

Archived