Third Gen Exhaust Gut

hardt21

• Member Contributer

Hey guys,

Has any one ever pulled the end cap off of the can of a third gen? I know there are 6 spot welds holding the cap on. I really want to get this done but I need to know how to go about it and what are the odds that it will actually come off?

Thanks in advance.

Matthew

On my '90 VFR, I left it in place, and drilled out the first baffle plate in the muffler, by sticking a large drill bit on an extension through the outlet. Pipe looked standard, but was slightly louder'n stock.

Guest vfrrider

All I did was to take a 1/8" bit and drill about 8 holes around the rear exit right next to the inner pipe. This connects with the inner core and lets out high pressure. Adds a little sound, but was nice.

Now I have moved on to my own exhausts. Its so easy.

Larry

VFRrider

• 6 months later...

Hey guys,

Has any one ever pulled the end cap off of the can of a third gen? I know there are 6 spot welds holding the cap on. I really want to get this done but I need to know how to go about it and what are the odds that it will actually come off?

Thanks in advance.

Matthew

Kinda' late outa' the gate on this one BUT...

On my 4th gen '96 the end cap came off OK.

Not sure about your can but the 6 welds you speak of? If they're in three pairs around the back of the can like mine, FORGET the 3 forward ones, they tack the inner chamber wall to the outer polished one.

Drill the 3 rearward ones out , step by step until you can get the end cap to wiggle by tapping on it with a soft faced hammer... it'll come out then your free to work on the innards.

By the way, have you guys seen this one:

• Member Contributer

On my '90 VFR, I left it in place, and drilled out the first baffle plate in the muffler, by sticking a large drill bit on an extension through the outlet. Pipe looked standard, but was slightly louder'n stock.

LOL, I did that, too. Sounded like pish. More accurately, it sounded just like I'd drilled an OEM muffler...

If you do this, everyone will know! And they will laugh! If you don't mind being everyone's entertainment for the duration of your presence, go for it. But when you get tired of that kind of attention, find a used TBR or other similar slip-on on eBay and fit that for an awesome V4 rumble and roar.

Ciao,

The extreme quiet of the stock exhaust on my new-to-me '96 was wiggin' me out , or adding to it.

HAD to do something about that!

Did a three part partial gut on the muffler.

I drilled the 3 welds out holding the end cap onto the can to get access to the internals.

1st stage work... results, near diddly-squat!

canmod1.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heres part two (see hole I sawed in the partition at the back end of the outlet pipe.) Made some improvement but not much:

canmod2.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heres step three. Cut rear of inner canister out and removed wrapped baffle outlet pipe.

She barks some now, even closed up... more so with the end cap off as in this pic to show work:

canmod3.jpg

To close the can back up I rotated the end cap a few degrees from the drilled out welds, drilled & tapped and secured things with 3 stainless button heads.

I've used those fasteners on many mods over the years as they give a nice finished appearence... kinda' like high-end factory rivets.

I'm quite happy with the result, she sings pretty sweetly now... not overly loud, nice tonality.

Burbles along nicely trolling in traffic or doin' a gentle gallop up backroads.

Only lets out a bit of a rip if I twist it with resolve.

This method should work just as well on a 3rd gen, the cans themselves are identical if not mistaken... you'll be pleased with the music I'm certain!

Steve

Archived