Lowering Ride Height

Guest jrx

Question

Hi,

My wife has just started riding a 2007 VFR800 and finds the seat height a little high. Is there an easy way to lower the height of the rear suspemsion by about 25mm or so?

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

you could put a CBR929 shock on with no other modification. I guess it might work. I may handle like poop, but it will be about 25 mm lower, I think.

If you lowered the rear the front should also be lowered the same amount so as not to change the steering geometry. You would loose ground clearance needed for high speed cornering if she is into that. Modifying the seat would not affect the geometry or ground clearance. Shave the foam and recover would be the simplest.

• Member Contributer

I wouldn't worry about ground clearance too much. I lowered my bike by rotating the shock linkage, and then raising the fork tubes 1". On group rides I always ride with the faster guys at the front and occasionally drag a footpeg, but never anything else. Unless you regularly drag your knee, you'll be fine. The lower CG makes the bike easier to turn too.

I wouldn't worry about ground clearance too much. I lowered my bike by rotating the shock linkage and the raising the fork tubes 1". On group rides I always ride with the faster guys at the front and occasionally drag a footpeg, but never anything else. Unless you regularly drag your knee, you'll be fine. The lower CG makes the bike easier to turn too.

Anything that will boost the wife's confidence on this not overly small bike has to be a good thing! :biggrin:

Thanks!

Archived