6th Gen Oem Rack & Givi Rack Interchangeable?

Guest Ravi

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I’m still getting acquainted with the forums and my bike, so go easy on me. I just picked up an ’02 VFR last week. The guy I bought the bike from had totaled his previous ’02 but didn’t have his OEM hard cases on it when he crashed. So he threw in the cases with the sale, but never put the rack on the replacement bike which I bought. Based on other posts I’ve seen it sounds like the Givi rack and the OEM rack are interchangeable, but I wanted to confirm this because it does sound like there are some subtle differences. Is it profile only? So my main question is…will the Givi rack work with the OEM cases or do I need to spend the extra $100+ for the OEM rack? If I can use the Givi rack, I’m not entirely clear on which rack to get…PL166 or the PLX166? If I need to get the OEM rack, any recommendations on a good site? The one I found was selling the rack alone for almost $300.

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

From the pictures I've seen, about the only similarity between the Givi racks and the OEM (Givi made) racks are that they both fit the 6th Gen VFR. To me it looks like the OEM racks fit tighter to the exhaust by quite a bit. I have the OEM racks and will be happy to provide photos for this thread to compare them to the Givi racks if someone would post up with them.

• Member Contributer

You don't mention weather you are talking side cases or top case, but I guess it really doesn't matter. Givi cases will only Givi racks and OEM cases only work with OEM racks. I think you are talking about side cases which you might have a hard time finding the mounting kit. So did the previous owner have the mounting kit and you didn't get it with the bike or was it mounted on the old bike that he totaled which went to the insurance co? It just seems a little odd that he give you the cases and not the mounting hardware.

• Member Contributer

Givi and OEM are NOT interchangeable. Different setups (even if made by the same company) all together. You will need Givi luggage with the Givi racks and OEM luggage for the OEM racks. I guess they did this to corner the market on the OEM setups.

I can post pics of my Givi set up to compare to CBR Rod. smile.gif

• Member Contributer

Not to highjack the topic, but I've got OEM side cases on my 07, and I want to add a top case for the trips when the girl friend comes along (she can't pack for a week in one side case like me :blink: ) Can I add a GIVI topcase with my OEM side case racks? I want the givi topcase (monokey units) because they have a color matched case for a lot less than the all black OEM one from Mother Honda

• Member Contributer
Not to highjack the topic, but I've got OEM side cases on my 07, and I want to add a top case for the trips when the girl friend comes along (she can't pack for a week in one side case like me:blink:) Can I add a GIVI topcase with my OEM side case racks? I want the givi topcase because they have a color matched case for a lot less than the all black OEM one from Mother Honda

Afraid not. Sorry. I had the Givi top case and wanted to add the OEM side racks (reverse what you are saying but the exact same setup). I had to get the Givi setup because they are not interchagable.

• Member Contributer
You don't mention weather you are talking side cases or top case, but I guess it really doesn't matter. Givi cases will only Givi racks and OEM cases only work with OEM racks. I think you are talking about side cases which you might have a hard time finding the mounting kit. So did the previous owner have the mounting kit and you didn't get it with the bike or was it mounted on the old bike that he totaled which went to the insurance co? It just seems a little odd that he give you the cases and not the mounting hardware.

He mentions 'cases' so I figured side cases. He also mentions the original owner totaled his first 02, so I figured the hardware went with the totaled 02 due to damage/not thinking to take the hardware off.

• Member Contributer
Givi and OEM are NOT interchangeable. Different setups (even if made by the same company) all together. You will need Givi luggage with the Givi racks and OEM luggage for the OEM racks. I guess they did this to corner the market on the OEM setups.

I will post up some photos of the racks on my VFR without cases tonight and if you do that same, then I guess we'd have a thread for future reference :fing02:

I will post up some photos of the racks on my VFR without cases tonight and if you do that same, then I guess we'd have a thread for future reference :fing02:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I not sure where I got the impression they were interchangeable...glad I checked. Some photos would be great just for a reference point. I've found photos of the Givi racks but not the OEM. Any recommendations on sites to purchase the OEM rack from?

CBR_Rod is correct, I'm talking about side cases and the previous owner totaled his first VFR with the rack hardware on but not the cases. He forgot to take them off before the insurance company got the one he totaled and just decided not to put the rack on the replacement bike.

• Member Contributer
I thought the Honda Factory rack systems were only like $100 new? :huh:

I think they want 300 to 400 for them. Could be wrong though.

• Member Contributer
Afraid not. Sorry. I had the Givi top case and wanted to add the OEM side racks (reverse what you are saying but the exact same setup). I had to get the Givi setup because they are not interchagable.

Darn it :angry:

Guess I'll have to get the OEM one and have the box painted to match, or get the OEM rack the GIVI system with a universal mount and make something so the 2 fit. Have to get on it shortly because I find it really hard to work on the bike durning the nice weather :laugh: :laugh:

• Member Contributer
Not to highjack the topic, but I've got OEM side cases on my 07, and I want to add a top case for the trips when the girl friend comes along (she can't pack for a week in one side case like me:blink:) Can I add a GIVI topcase with my OEM side case racks? I want the givi topcase because they have a color matched case for a lot less than the all black OEM one from Mother Honda

Actually Vanion, you CAN mount a Givi top case with OEM side cases with the SW-MOTECH mount. I bought mine from Twisted Throttle. As the description states, it might rub the bottom of passenger's thigh. And something they don't say is it doesn't give the passenger as much room as an OEM or the FZ166 which I had before. It sits the top box fairly close to the passenger's back, especially if they are wearing multiple layers for warmth. And here are my pics.

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

I just noticed, my license plate looks crooked.

• Member Contributer
The cheapest I've found the side case rack is $368 on http://www.babbittsonline.com

That just seems ridiculous for a few pieces of tubular steel. I may reconsider even using the hard cases he gave me...just seems like a waste to not use them since they match the bike so well.

You'll get a right and left side case bracket, a new rear fender bracket that is required to attach the rt. lft. side bracket too, raised fillers that will raise the grab bars about an inch and all necessary bolts. It does seem pricey, perhaps you could try David Silvers and see if they sell the bracket kit seperately since so many people buy the bag kit at such a good price, even when shipped to the U.S.

The cheapest I've found the side case rack is $368 on http://www.babbittsonline.com

That just seems ridiculous for a few pieces of tubular steel. I may reconsider even using the hard cases he gave me...just seems like a waste to not use them since they match the bike so well.

You'll get a right and left side case bracket, a new rear fender bracket that is required to attach the rt. lft. side bracket too, raised fillers that will raise the grab bars about an inch and all necessary bolts. It does seem pricey, perhaps you could try David Silvers and see if they sell the bracket kit seperately since so many people buy the bag kit at such a good price, even when shipped to the U.S.

Thanks CBR_Rod...just sent them an email. We'll see what they come back with. I'll probably end up biting the bullet and doing it...just took me a while to get over the sticker shock. I thought I'd be saving myself money in parts by trading the Beemer for a VFR. Oh well...at least the VFR is a hell of a lot more fun to ride. :huh:

And thanks hondalover for the top case info...that will be good to know for the future. Good to know I have options...

• Member Contributer
Actually Vanion, you CAN mount a Givi top case with OEM side cases with the SW-MOTECH mount. I bought mine from Twisted Throttle. As the description states, it might rub the bottom of passenger's thigh. And something they don't say is it doesn't give the passenger as much room as an OEM or the FZ166 which I had before. It sits the top box fairly close to the passenger's back, especially if they are wearing multiple layers for warmth.

That wouldn't have worked in my situation as I all ready had the Givi top case and wanted the side cases (without spending an extra $145 + shipping) and I often ride 2 up so passenger comfort would be an issue for sure (no one wants a grumpy girl at the end of a nice long day of riding). wink.gif

At least it gives Ravi an option I didn't have. smile.gif

Here is my setup:

gallery_9864_2412_198781.jpg

Givi brackets.JPG

gallery_9864_2412_654159.jpg

top and side cases.JPG

gallery_9864_2412_180561.jpg

Givi brackets-side.JPG

gallery_9864_2412_265343.jpg

cases-side.JPG

gallery_9864_2412_473904.jpg

cases-front.JPG

So it looks like David Silver Spares comes through again...

Pannier brackets - @ 63.83 GBP each.

Shipping via UPS - 69.53 GBP.

Total including shipping is 197.19 GBP.

So about $280-290 USD depending on the day. About $100 USD cheaper than anything I found here.

There might be some VAT or other fees in there...but still cheaper than getting them here.

Thanks for everyone's input.

So it looks like David Silver Spares comes through again...

Pannier brackets - @ 63.83 GBP each.

Shipping via UPS - 69.53 GBP.

Total including shipping is 197.19 GBP.

So about $280-290 USD depending on the day. About $100 USD cheaper than anything I found here.

There might be some VAT or other fees in there...but still cheaper than getting them here.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Be VERY careful with UPS shipping you may find that the $100 Savings gets eaten up by UPS fees for customs paperwork. Go to UPS.com and read the fine print. I know when shipping US to Canada they will ding you big time and I refuse to accept anything from eBay etc. if they will only ship UPS. My favorite "fee" structure from UPS is that the customs clearance fee is based on the declared value - so it costs more to do the paperwork for a more expensive item ???WTF?

To the guy asking about the topcase>

I just installed my Factory Topcase last night. Went through the whole BS with Givi (I have the factory hard luggage racks)and decided to go to David Silver Spares. Ended up paying $521 (with Shipping) vs. $650 from Honda. I thought it would take two weeks or more and the parts showed up the same week! I must say the Factory Honda Topcase is very nice and fits together great. Although I did have a few left over parts after my install. The directions weren't the greatest but it seems to be on there solid. Can't wait till spring and my first roadtrip:) I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

• Member Contributer

Purchased my Top and Side Cases from David Silver Spares, bag liners and some sundry bits. With shipping was about $875 and was here in THREE days. Total shipping weight was 150 lbs. The installation manual was all faded though. Does anyone have a clear PDF? Thanks in advance if you can PM or post online.

Just realized though the 550 lb Sport/Tourer now a 700 lb big rig!!!

• 2 months later...

Bumping this thread for pictures of the OEM topcase rack and case vs. the SW-Motech topcase rack. I have OEM bags on my '06 but would like to use my Givi V46 I had on my SV650. I know the Givi topcase rack will not work, said so right on twistedthrottle.com. I'm just looking at the two options. Hondalover stated that he had the SW-Motech rack. I would like to see some photos if possible.

• 3 years later...

hi y'all; i would like to know if the oem top box mount from honda would fit a universal base plate or a givi top box with its base plate drilled to fit just the oem honda rack without the oem plates. thanks

• Member Contributer

To make it brief, yes you can mount a Givi plate/trunk to an OEM mount. All you need is a piece of plate steel/aluminmum, some patience and tools. Anything is possible.

gallery_10736_3456_491332.jpg

Archived