1996 Vfr750 Won't Start...original, I Know.

Guest HoosierHonda96

Guest HoosierHonda96

hey,

I'm Matt, a new member of VFRDiscussion. I love the VFR (especially when mine works).

If anyone has an inkling of their wisdom to part, I'd much appreciate any and all help...

SO...

I've been trying to get my VFR started for the past two days. I had it stored in a garage for about

3-4 months, turning it on every few weeks and letting it run for a few minutes. I did not empty the float bowls

but I did put Stabil in the full gas tank.

After recharging the battery (dumb, I know, to have let it sit connected in the bike without a trickle charger or just

disconnecting the thing) the bike turns but won't catch. However, about 2 to 3 large backfire "pops" occur while

trying to start.

Could it be a fuel problem? Or Spark Plugs? Fuel Filter? Fuel Pump? I have used the choke on it when it's cold so it would start easier.

I did replace my R/R last fall and the bike ran fine.

I'm not the most mechanically inclined (though I'm trying to learn) so I was hoping I could fix it myself before

giving up the ghost and taking it to a local Honda dealer.

Any help is most appreciated!http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/blush.gif

How much Stabil did you put in it?

First thing I would try, would be to jump the bike from a car that's not running. If it works, run the bike for a while to charge the battery up, let things warm up, etc. If it doesn't work, get your battery tested.

If it starts and runs like crap, check your plugs. Running the bike for a short period of time and/or revving it when cold can foul the plugs. If they look dirty, clean them. If it starts and still runs poorly, remove the gas tank and the carb float bowls, drain all the old gas out, and reinstall/fill with some fresh gas. Clean the plugs again.

Report back.

• Member Contributer
check your plugs.

You might have flooded it and wet fouled the plugs. Charge the battery, pull, inspect, clean and/or replace the plugs while you wait. Try again.

Archived