Pciii And Custom Map?

Guest 03VFR0078

Guest 03VFR0078

So, I'm thinking about getting a PCIII for my 6th Gen. Trying to figure the ROI here.

Dynojet's website is pretty clear that you don't have to use a dyno to tune your bike after adding the PCIII, provided that you can find a map (on their site or on others that I've seen) that matches your bike's configuration closely enough. From what I've read on a number of forums this seems to work. Cozyne's map has gotten a lot of kudos, for example. That said, some are pretty adamant that you need to do the dyno work and get a completly custom map.

So the question is, if you have/have had a PCIII, have you found the need to dyno the bike or have the downloadable maps done the trick for you? If you started with a downloadable map and then had the bike dyno'd, how much of a difference did it make?

Please note that this is a question for those of you that have/have had a PCIII. I'm not interested in theory; there's plenty of that floating around. Data talks, bullsh*t walks... I would like to get as many first-hand responses as possible. Thanks!

• Member Contributer

I bought a PCIII and got a map from a member (thanks Chaz06i) that had the same type of pipes and filter. His was the same year and built the same month as mine. He had got the map from a dyno run at a local dealer. At first the map worked good above 4k, but didn't work very well below 4k. This lead me to investigate further and I found, on advise from people on the forum, that my starter valves were way out of whack. The bike just turned 1000 miles, so it was screwed from day one. After I fixed the starter valves the bike runs great. The Dynojet map closest to my bike was pretty close to the dyno run map I got from a member here (Chaz06i). My guess is that if I put it back in, now that I have the valves adjusted, it would more than likely run pretty good with that map also.

I was having issues with o2 sensors and poor fuel economy so my local independent shop recommended a PC3 as a solution. I had them do some custom mapping based off of the generic VFR w/ Leo Vince pipes map. My mileage did not change. I changed the map to the Cozeye map and my economy got even worse. I got as low as 23mpg in low gear spirited riding (115 miles on the tank and the last bar was flashing). I have since taken my bike to a licensed DynoJet facility to get the mapping all squared away. I'm now getting in the mid 30's when cruising. For whatever reason when I was running the Cozeye map my bike was running off the chart rich. I guess what it boils down to is get custom mapping done, but expect your fuel economy to drop to one extent or another. The bike isn't going to necessarily get more HP, it's just going to run better and the power delivery will be more even rather than choppy (i.e. the vtec transition).

I did just buy a new set of o2 sensors off a member here and I'm going to disconnect the PC3 to see if my economy gets back up in the 40mpg range just to make sure that was the issue...

• Member Contributer
I'm running cozye's map and it's better than the Dynojet map that covers my setup.

Keep in mind, cozye's map is for 02'-'05. It doesn't work well on '06-'08 ('09?), I tried on '06 - NG.

• Member Contributer

If you find a map that gets you running good, just keep leaning the cruise area until you notice it's running back, than go back. As long as you stay on the plus side of zero, don't see how you can hurt anything. Also once you get it the best you can, who's to say you can't put in O2's back in. They only work at steady cruise. As long as the on-off goes smooth, you'll get really good mileage. Right?!?

Archived