-1 On Drive Sprocket

vfrqqq

Question

• Member Contributer

So I dropped a tooth on the drive sprocket and now my speedo doesn't indicate a speed. Every now and then it jumps up to 1 or 2 mph and sometimes up to 5 or 7 or anywhere in between, however it just blips and then goes right back to zero. I noticed that the sprocket got does not have the two tapped holes 180 degrees apart as was the case for the 16 tooth I replaced. Is this what the speed sensor uses for taking a measurment? If so I'm curious why I would be sold one with out these two holes in them. If this isn't the case then how does the speedo take it's measurment?

3 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

The speedo sending unit uses a plastic nut that fits over the front sprocket bolt. Most likely, you installed it improperly when buttoning things back up.

The speedo is driven by the speed sensor that is bolted to the c/s sprocket cover, there is a small nylon socket that has a flat blade slot in one side that slips on the speed sensor and has a socket on the other end that is suppose to ride on the cap of the c/s bolt, that is what drives the unit and is obviously not working for you now. Check to make sure the nylon drive socket is not cracked or rounded out, there only around $5 at Honda.

:3:

Archived