Foggy Respro Installed And Tested Yesterday!

Beck

Finally got to install the thing in my Dainese Evo 1 Helmet (which has to have one of the most useless breath guards in the industry) yesterday after a long time it being just kicked around in my helmet storage area. Just couldn't get myself to install that big piece of stick-on Velcro in any of my helmet's chinpieces. Tried other helemet manufacturer breath guards on my helmets (Arai, Shoei and HJC) but nothing seals off the breath fog from my glasses and shield 100%.

First thing I noticed was the helmet seems to have gotten a little bit snugger at the cheeks because of the flaps that extend back from the chinpiece toward my ears. Next thing I noticed was, It's a little claustrophobic and breathing is a little harder with it on because the chinpiece is closer to your mouth with the breathguard on. I just pull at my helmets chinpiece to establish a little bit mor breathing room in the breathguard. First positive effect was that my glasses did not immediately start fogging as I put my gloves on to get ready to roll. This positvie effect continued on for the rest of the ride even at stops signs where I used to have to crack my shield open to defog my shield and/or my glasses. The total absence of ANY fogging in my helmet contributed to one of the best rides I had in a while. The breathing became easier on the road as more air gets to the bottom of my helmet and into the breathing "box". No more gritting and bearing it when my shield or glasses will partially fog at the worst moments in the twisties or heavy fast traffic and no more need to crack open the visor at every stop! Why did I wait so long to install this thing in my helmet??

Only negatives are:

1) A little hard to breath when you first put on the helmet. (an integral nose clip eventually conforms to your nose and breathing then eases and a good tug at your helmet's chinpiece will give you just a little bit more breathing room under there)

2) Wet neoprene sponge smell from moisture in your breath (The Respro is made of diver suite stretch Lycra(?) covered neoprene sponge material). The smell does go away when you get rolling and air circulates below your helmet's chinpiece.

3) Might cause some helmets to get a little tight. My helmet felt very tight at first, but eventually the cheek padding conformed and eased off the pressure. I believe that it will go the same for most helmets.

4) Highish price. I think I paid over $20.00 for it, but I do think it's worth it just for the added riding safety it contributes.

Now that we are back to winter riding season, this accessory should work very well for most, specially for us that wear glasses.

Happy winter riding!

P.S., Now if I can only teach myself not to instinctively crack my visor open at every stop light or stop sign!! :biggrin:

Beck

95 VFR

Archived