Why The Vfr Reg/rec Fails...

AB-Oz

A recent thread here suggested to a potential owner that the 5th gen R/R would need replacing, I took a contrary view, seeing mine is 92k km old with no worries.

So then it got me to thinking that maybe its a Northern Hemisphere failure of the R/R, as opposed to the longevity of the Southern Hemisphere R/R's, due to the Earth's magnetic field, and the way the stator is wound.

So a quick poll on OzVFR has provided this info:

"125,000 on a 2000 VFR and still going strong - I am on my third battery

though. I put it down to all the gadgetry on the bike. There is no need to

dump any power as the GPS, Autocom, cruise control, phone charger, CB radio,

and other stuff just soak it all up.

It could also be that the southern hemisphere magnetic fields act in

conjunction with the negative bias from the left side of the road camber to

create a force field that enhances the delicate electron balance and ensures

that excess electricity is used for good rather than evil. Robert"

And:

"Bought my '00 with 27,000km on the clock. Just gone through 110,000km, that R/R is still there. Had to

replace a battery a few years ago. David T"

more info as it comes in...

I tend to look at it as....If its not broke don't fix it......Check it yes....do the preventive maintenance yes......and if it is failing...change it.....

To me, suggesting to some one, change parts because it "MAY" go is crazy....unless you are trying to drum up more business.

Ive been a machinist / mechanic for over 30 years......ive seen parts that I thought would never last the day....yet finally having to replacing them after many years later of good service..... Parts do go bad and break.....but to replace a good functioning part just because it might.....is a waste of money.... I know i cant afford to keep a spare VFR sitting around in case mine quits....

Bought mine to ride and I do..... Its a great bike....treat it right...and it will treat you right....

Sorry for the rant.....but thats my 2 cents....

Archived