Can You Drill The 5th Gen Like The 6th?

Auspanglish

So, after filtering through all 6 pages of threads on exhaust mods, no dice... anyone know if I can just take a V.F.Long drill bit and do like the 6th gen owners do and drill through the inner pipe to gain a slight rise in the volume of sound emitted by the 5th gen silencer? I can't hear anything but the GDC whine...

• Member Contributer

Only 6 pages? :goofy:

I did have another idea, and that was to drill the six holes that are seen on the BB.

Might confuse the heck outta some of em.

And shead at least a pound.

• Member Contributer

I tried it on a rashed experimental 4gen can on my first 94. I ended up breaking the drill bit off in the can and couldn't retrieve it. With the can off the bike, I could make it rattle (ahh crap) but installed on the bike I never heard it (whew!). It was only slightly louder and a tad more deeper but no where near what you can achieve with the 6gen cans. I think the only way to gain more dB's is to cut off the end, perform a bafflectomy on the insides, and re-weld the endcap back on. I've seen a couple of bikes who did the first two but skipped welding the cap back on. They looked and sounded like poo.

Like dawg, I used a long piece of bar stock that I sharpened to a point with a grinder and with a BFH punched approx. 3/4inch holes through the inside wall of my stock rc51 cans. Had the same results as my 4gen efforts (tad louder/deeper) but no broken drill bit this time.

• Member Contributer

I drilled a 1/4 hole through a 5th gen muffler (installed on my 4th gen bike). I kinda like the result - a well defined V4 sound without the obnoxiousness of "performance" cans. But to each his own, you may not like it at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived