Zumo: Sound|mic Options

JHKolb

• Member Contributer

OK, so I have had the Zumo up and running for a couple months, everything works great but now I want a better sound|mic option.

I had dissected an old pair of PC gaming headphones and put the speakers in my helmet and that worked great right up until I ripped the wire out of 1 of the speakers. So now I am looking for a better option that also has a boom mic. I looked at some stand alone helmet speakers but than I still need to add a mic and having multiple wire running from my helmet to the Zumo would get old fast.

So far I have pretty much ruled out the Cardo system as it does not seem to play stereo MP3's. Looked at the J&M system tonite and though it seems to do all I want it costs close to $500.

Anyone have any better store bought options?

I use custom molded stereo plugs for sound with my Zumo. I however don't usually use a mic, but do have an Autocom system I can run the Zumo through if I want to. I've heard of others just buying the Autocom mic and putting a 2.5 mm plug on it and plugging it directly into the Zumo (back to your concern about having multiple wires coming from your helmet though).

Big Ear Website

• Member Contributer

I'm not sure if you're looking for a plug and play deal or if you don't mind a little tinkering. I did a little tinkering with this cable by adding a mic connection and then plug that into the HJC Chatterbox headset that I already had installed in my helmet. This way I have only a 3-4 inch pig tail sticking out of my helmet if I don't have the sound/mic hooked up and it is only one plug to get completely connected. Let me know if this was too confusing.

• Member Contributer
I'm not sure if you're looking for a plug and play deal or if you don't mind a little tinkering. I did a little tinkering with this cable by adding a mic connection and then plug that into the HJC Chatterbox headset that I already had installed in my helmet. This way I have only a 3-4 inch pig tail sticking out of my helmet if I don't have the sound/mic hooked up and it is only one plug to get completely connected. Let me know if this was too confusing.

That is kind of what I am looking for, how did you add a Mic connection to that cable? It would be perfect if they already made a cable that had both the stereo and Mic plugs in a single coiled cable to connect the Headset to the Zumo. I am not good at soldering together small wires/plugs but might give it a try.

• Member Contributer

I took a chance that the wires were already there, just not being used and I was right. I have a full chatterbox system so I took it apart to determine what connectors needed to be hooked up to which wire and went from there. I like the set-up because in my Aria the speakers fit inside of the removable check/ear pad so there is no trying to get the helmet on without pulling the ear buds out. I ride with ear plug and have to have the volume up all the way, but I can still hear my XM into triple digit speeds.

• Member Contributer

Well, after looking at a bunch of options posted here and at a local Honda dealer, I ordered a headset and Zumo specific cable from EdSets. I noticed in a post on either the Zumo of Adventure Forum (from BonusVFR I believe) about the EdSets and their stuff looks to be of very good quality and pretty flexible to use. I almost bought the J&M package, but with the EdSets stuff I don't have any batteries to worry about, just plug and go.

The stuff shipped today so i hope to have it this week and installed for this weekend, I'll pass on any information once I get and use it.

• Member Contributer
Well, after looking at a bunch of options posted here and at a local Honda dealer, I ordered a headset and Zumo specific cable from EdSets. I noticed in a post on either the Zumo of Adventure Forum (from BonusVFR I believe) about the EdSets and their stuff looks to be of very good quality and pretty flexible to use. I almost bought the J&M package, but with the EdSets stuff I don't have any batteries to worry about, just plug and go.

The stuff shipped today so i hope to have it this week and installed for this weekend, I'll pass on any information once I get and use it.

Just got back from another ZUmo aided ride to the Sierras. Based on my research Edsets is what I would buy now! Give us a report, when you can. Edsets get great reviews from the Wingers.

I don't need more stinking batteries either. :offtopic:

Archived