98 Vfr With Speedometer On The Blink

VFR Capt.Bob

• Member Contributer

Recently corrected the charging system on my bike but the speedometor has ceased to function at all but the most extreme speeds. The FI warning light code corresponds to the speedsensor malfunction. Should I just buy the speed sensor? Bike has 52K miles on it. Runs fine. Is it more likely a bad wire in the harness? Tested voltage coming through the wires to the sensor are 11.98 volts with the key on and engine stopped. Just hoping to be steered in the right direction. It's either bad wire to speedo. Bad wire to PGM. Bad Speed sensor. Or bad PGM module. Could be a bad connectionat the speedometer multi connector as well. Where do I start? I just want to ride and not have to work on this bike constantly.

Did you have the front sprocket cover off recently? If it worked before I would first check the nylon drive nut thingy-ma-bob to be sure it is seated properly.

Yep, same happened to me, and the cover hadn't been off in a while.

Just slide the sleeve back out, and put the cover back on, it will set itself.

Michael

• Member Contributer
Did you have the front sprocket cover off recently? If it worked before I would first check the nylon drive nut thingy-ma-bob to be sure it is seated properly.

Yep, same happened to me, and the cover hadn't been off in a while.

Just slide the sleeve back out, and put the cover back on, it will set itself.

Michael

I'll have to check that out. Not too long ago I noticed the clutch fluid was low. I began to take the slave cylinder off but decided I'd rather not mess with it since there was no evidense of leaking fluid there. May have not tightened it correctly.

Well good news. You guys put me on the right track. I was thinking lectric and you said mechanical. Turns out the nylon nut that seat on the counter shaft sprockent bolt is stripped out. The Counter shaft bolt looks slightly rounded from the last time I changed sprockets and it wore out the inside of the nylon nut. My chain is at the end of its life cycle so when I change it out I'll order a new speed sensor. For now, I used layers of aluminum foil carefully jammed into the orifice of the nylon nut to shim out the rounded areas. I didn't want to use anything that might be affected by heat like glue or epoxy. Anyways it works for now and I'm very thankful to you guys.

Archived